Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leaking shutoff valve

oldcastiron
oldcastiron Member Posts: 16
edited October 2023 in THE MAIN WALL
The shutoff valve that controls the cold water supply for my DHW is leaking at the packing. Would appreciate any ideas for fixing this. I can solder and cut pipe, but not sure where I should cut. Not much space to put a bucket for catching water under the cold water pipe.

Is it worth switching to a ball valve or should I repair the packing?

Thanks!

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,326
    edited October 2023

You should not need to turn it very much... Maybe 1/4 turn is all you should need. Don't over do it, because it looks old and you do not want to crack the nut. Then you will need to call a plumber for the larger leak you create

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Intplm.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    Just clean up the stem with some scotchbrite if it is crusty and put a little string packing in it.
  • mattmia2
    I can't tell if that is a gate valve or globe valve. If it is a globe valve it is fairly restrictive and might be worth replacing. You'd drain the tank until the water was below the valve then replace it.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited October 2023
    mattmia2 said:

I can't tell if that is a gate valve or globe valve. If it is a globe valve it is fairly restrictive and might be worth replacing. You'd drain the tank until the water was below the valve then replace it.

It is a stop and waste valve @mattmia2 like this one

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Matco-Norca-202C04LF-3-4-Solder-Ends-Stop-Waste-Valve-Lead-Free

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• mattmia2

mattmia2 said:

It is a stop and waste valve @mattmia2 like this one

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Matco-Norca-202C04LF-3-4-Solder-Ends-Stop-Waste-Valve-Lead-Free
    That doesn't answer if it is globe or gate. I think it is globe especially since the waste is where a gate would seal off. Oddly the supplyhouse.com listing doesn't mention if it is a globe or gate valve or show a picture of the end either. Both globe and gate valve are available with waste.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited October 2023
    It is not a Gate Valve. I thought that everyone knows that a Stop and waste valve is a type of globe valve. And I'm not even a plumber

And regardless of the Gate or Globe ...the fix is the same on both. Tighten the packing nut

Edward Young Retired

Intplm.
  • mattmia2
    It is purely by convention that one would know it is a globe valve., You can get sink stops with ball valves.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,989
    It's a globe valve.

@oldcastiron

shut the water off on the street side of the valve. Take the valve handle off and clean up the valve stem Loosen the packing nut and take some string packing or Teflon tape twisted into a string and wrap some around the stem. A little silicone grease on the threads. Then snug it up and turn the water on and check for leaks. If it drips snug it a little more.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,097
    Gate would've never crossed my mind looking at that.
    I like Ed's and @EBEBRATT-Ed 's advice.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    @EBEBRATT-Ed has good advise for a valve that is opened and closed on a regular basis.
    But the fast fix is to tighten the packing nut for now. You can get to the more involved maintenance when you have more time

Edward Young Retired

• WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,408
    This has worked for me:
    1. Clean deposits off stem with small wire brush
    2. LOOSEN packing nut
    3. Barely tighten packing nut
    4. Turn stem in and out
    5. Tighten packing nut until dripping stops (or before if you are about to strip the threads)
    Sometimes this will repack the existing packing. Sometimes the packing will have to be replaced. Sometimes the entire guts of the valve should be replaced.

Step 2 is important for success.