Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Energy Kinetics Ascent +

SuperTech
SuperTech Member Posts: 2,212
My coworkers and I were all drooling over the latest delivery to our shop this morning, an Energy Kinetics Ascent + boiler that is for an upcoming replacement job. It's the 91% AFUE model with a Carlin burner, vented with polypropylene pipe.  We were looking it over like it was a rare hot rod at car show,  lol. 

This will be the first time our company installs this particular boiler and I have never worked on one before. I have worked on a 87% AFUE Ascent for what it's worth.  I won't be at the job but I'm wondering if there is anything I should warn them to be careful about or watch out for. Obviously they need RTFM but I know how that goes sometimes. 

They are all familiar with the installation, setup and commissioning of the EK-1F boilers but if anyone has any tips or suggestions I would really appreciate it. 
Roger

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    edited September 2023
    EK has some nice online content walking you thru an install. I’m pretty sure they did a few on the Accent.
    Post some pics when your done.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Roger
    Roger Member Posts: 345
    I’m thrilled that you’re installing an Ascent Plus, @SuperTech - and thank you for your outstanding comments!
    Thank you for pointing out our resources, @STEVEusaPA .  In addition to the illustrated Quick Install Guide, there’s an installation video in the dealer portal under the Products tab that you might enjoy. If you don’t have your login, PM me or call our team at the factory at (908) 735-2066. 
    Looking forward to your install!
    Best,
    Roger
    President
    Energy Kinetics, Inc.
  • SuperTech
    Thank you @Roger and @STEVEusaPA for the advice, I'll take advantage of those resources. Hopefully I get a chance to see this boiler before it's time for the first maintenance.  I'm hoping I get sent to do the start up and commissioning, if I do I'll take some pictures. 
    Roger
  • SuperTech
    I was lucky enough to be called upon to do the startup and combustion analysis of this boiler. I was able to get it dialed in to the manufacturer specifications of 7.1% O2 for a boiler with an outdoor oil tank. It's super important to test through the overfire port with the burner box cover on. The boiler is super quiet and ran like a champ. We are going back next week to install the scale stopper for the plate heat exchanger.  Our lead installer figured it didn't need it due to the presence of a water softener but I think it certainly can't hurt to have it.

• WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,408
    edited October 2023
    I think running that on sodium ion exchange softened water is a bad idea, but I'm sure the Energy Kinetics guys will have something to say about this.
    Interested in @hot_rod thoughts on this as well.
  • jringel
    jringel Member Posts: 35
    Thank you for your comment, @WMno57 , and for an opening to discuss water quality overall. In any hydronic system, we want to make sure that there are no leaks and is no continuous water makeup as this would cause the continuous introduction of oxygen and minerals which is the worst case for boilers. To help make sure that the water in the hydronic system has a good opportunity to not cause issues (and to minimize any potential effects from water softeners), we include 8-Way boiler treatment with every boiler. This helps control pH (and has a color indicator, the pH should be between 7 and 8.5 to prevent any corrosion in general), it has an oxygen scavenger, it helps prevent lime scale, and more. There are other good additives and processes, this is just what we include and what we have found works well. For hard water conditions (if not otherwise treated), we recommend a scale stopper for domestic hot water if the water has above 7 to 10 grains of hardness – this can also treat the makeup water to the boiler. Our plate heat exchangers have a non-stick Sealix coating that also prevents domestic hot water side mineral build up. These are our normal recommendations, although extreme site specific conditions may require other actions.
    John Ringel Energy Kinetics
    WMno57