Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler zone valves

Options
Mikestudent
Mikestudent Member Posts: 2
edited September 2023 in Radiant Heating
Bought a place last year in CO.  Boiler system (HTS).  No issues here, I've been in the trade for 30+ years.  You'd think I've seen it all but well, I could use some help.  6 zones are fed off the boiler, thermostat is in the family room.  Boiler fires whenever the thermostat calls naturally based on the family room stat.  I'm thinking about individual zones and adding a bypass to the boiler.  Baseboard heat in all areas, so it's warm in some areas and cool in others.  I'm looking for a suggestion for 3/4" sweat angle valves that can take on a electronic actuator (thinking either zigbee or WiFi).  I don't have a lot of space in the radiators so.,,.

I've looked online but haven't found much.  Any ideas?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,572
    Options
    You could use TRVs but if it is split into 6 zones why not just put electric zone valves by the boiler.
    Mikestudent
  • Mikestudent
    Mikestudent Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2023
    Options

Obvious choice, aside from the 1 1/2" boiler supply and return in the mech room. Appears the zones split off under the house. Can't get under, it's only about 16” clearance in the crawlspace.  So yeah, it's gonna suck if I have a leak under there. I'm too old and large to traverse that one. Obvious choice is to add zone valves at each radiator.  

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,201
    Options
    TRVs are a nice option, no wiring required, just one central stat. Or a finely tuned outdoor reset 
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,918
    Options
    1 thermostat = 1 zone. If you don't have 6 thermostats and 6 zone valves/zone circs, you don't have 6 zones. What is it that you do have?