Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Flow Rate/ Firing Rate

LoganSan
LoganSan Member Posts: 6
edited September 2023 in THE MAIN WALL
Hello everyone,

I have a residential steam boiler (Ideal Boiler IBJ3) with an oil burner (Not sure of make as main sticker on housing is removed. One sticker says UL Underwriters Laboratories no. V 01642)  I’ve done light maintenance and repairs on it throughout the years. Before that we had a contact with the fuel providers. 
As I keep learning, I’m questioning if the nozzle that is on there is correct. Right now it’s a 60 degree 1.35 GPH semi-solid nozzle (By Hago). The combustion chamber is 18” L x 12” W x 14” H. I looked at a chart that said the angle should be 45 degrees. I also looked in front of the boiler plate which I can’t make it out clear but I believe it says 2.75 Oil …… Gal’s. Which according to the same chart I saw, the Flowrate should be around 2.50 GPH. I’m thinking the pump pressure may have been changed by the oil burner technician in the past to make up for that rate. I ordered a gauge to check the pressure. 
To make it more confusing for me, I understand that the burner itself has a firing rate. No sticker on it to tell what it would be.
I appreciate any thoughts on this.

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,891
    Take a few photos of the burner...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• LoganSan

• LoganSan
    There are parts that say Beckett but that is a newly replaced part. I remember an older ignitor transformer that said Carlin.
  • LoganSan
    Here is the steam boiler from the others end.
  • Big Ed_4
    Right now it is a fire hazard , shut it down . The oil leaks can cause a fire . Call in a pro it needs work ,

• LoganSan
    The pump was the only part that has not been changed. Can I just change that?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,989
    @logansand

Changing the nozzle requires changing the combustion. You can't do it blind you need combustion test instruments and the knowledge to use them or get a service tech in their.

The burner is probably a Beckett model AF

That boiler was probably designed for coal.

To find the right nozzle the combustion needs to be checked the oil pump leak needs fixing and if the combustion #s are good you keep the same nozzle you have or a replacement. If the #s are off then a nozzle application test is done.

Since the boiler was designed for coal. You start with the most common nozzles the burner mfg specs and work from their until you get good combustion. there is no rating tag on the boiler or burner that will help with the nozzle selection
    LoganSan
  • Big Ed_4
    There is more work there than just a pump . If you know how , it would be better for you to replace it with a new burner . Do away with the return line and run it with a Tigerloop ...