Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler wand tips.

Options
STEAM DOCTOR
STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 2,020
edited September 2023 in Strictly Steam
 You can wand through any taping that goes straight through the boiler. Take 1/8" steel nipple. Drill bunch of small holes in the side. Put cap at end of nipple. Hook up proper length of pipe or nipples, depending on boiler size. Use Sharkbite fitting (can't believe I said that) and transition to ball valve. The Sharkie allows you to easily rotate the wand inside the boiler. Connect ball valve to water heater drain (turn to pilot and run water till cold) or slop sink drain. This can be done from the boiler return tappings for the skim tapping if it goes all the way through or even pressure relief tapping. 

Comments

• STEAM DOCTOR
    Options
    For the sake of full transparency, I have never wanded through the top. But should work. Would be a bit more of a challenge clean the mud legs of the boiler properly. But should still work to some extent.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    Options

mattmia2Waher
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    Options
    When dealing with small openings, just use 1/8 inch piping all the way through the boiler. Have a pipe nipple sticking out from the boiler and place a bucket underneath to catch the water. Use a water transfer pump if available. Or just dump bucket as you go. Second bucket would make that easier. 
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,835
    Options
    Depending on how you make everything, you can make a hose with hose adapters and clear plastic tubing that will have a lot more flow than washing machine hoses but that depends on if your wand is big enough to provide that flow.
    STEAM DOCTOR
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    Options
    I would think that you would have trouble getting a plastic hose through. Would be too flexible. Maybe. The washing machine hose is not going inside the boiler in my setup. Just providing the water to the wand. 
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,835
    edited September 2023
    Options

I would think that you would have trouble getting a plastic hose through. Would be too flexible. Maybe. The washing machine hose is not going inside the boiler in my setup. Just providing the water to the wand. 

That's what i meant, the hose to hook up the wand, not the wand itself. Most of those washing machine hoses are pretty small id although it looks like you have one of the larger ones.
    STEAM DOCTOR
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    Options
    mattmia2 said:
    That's what i meant, the hose to hook up the wand, not the wand itself. Most of those washing machine hoses are pretty small id although it looks like you have one of the larger ones.
    Got it. I use the larger ones for these things. They are not hard to find but you got to look for them. 
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,857
    Options
    That is really not what I thought this thread was about from the title...........
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment