Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Contractor wants to install additional air return on floor 8x14

Options
I'm getting a new system installed in a couple of weeks.

Trane 2 Stage 80% Gas Furnance S8V2 with variable speed blower and Trane XV18 Heat Pump which has variable speed. I currently have just one return on an internal wall in the hallway. My contractor wants to install a floor return 8"x14" so I'm trying to figure out where would be best to install that in my ranch home. I do also have a full basement and crawl space as well from an addition that was put on the home years ago.

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    I assume he wants to add a second return for the addition ? Which I would say he is thinking .

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• damdolce
    damdolce Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Yes or I think he mentioned maybe for more airflow for the heat pump to work more efficently.

Thanks for your comments.
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 917
    edited September 2023
    Options
    You have a good contractor. He knows what he's doing. High-efficiency systems move more air than conventional systems. It's also common for home additions to include air supply but no additional return capacity, so your system may be short on return air to begin with.

Bburd
  • damdolce
    Options
    :) Thank you for that explanation!
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,550
    Options
    Yes. I agree with the above posts. If he wants to install it it means you need it.
  • damdolce
    Options
    :) I will take that advice and have them install one.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,873
    Options
    As far as deciding where, let the contractor figure it out. He is the one that is going to connect the other side to the new furnace. If you choose a location that makes it difficult to get the duct from the hole in the floor to the furnace, then you are going to make his job harder. (and that may cost more)

I always tried to pick the most aesthetically pleasing place in my customers homes.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• damdolce
    Options
    Thanks again Ed!