Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler using RA 832A

Options

I have a boiler system wired like the one below.  With a RA832A.   The system only has one pump.  I am adding 2 more zones and feeding them with a new 24v transformer.   My question is,  if I’m adding another transformer, can I just wire the rest of the valves the same?  Would the new 24v transformer mess up my relay, since I will have 2 transformers? 

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,794
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Your diagram , Gas valve on an oil fired system ? What type zone controls ?

To interface zone system to the boiler , you wire the end switches on the zone controls ( in Parallel ) to TT on the boiler control .

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• valencia29
    valencia29 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    It it not oil system.   Just used the diagram to explain what I have going on.  I have white rogers 1311 zone valves.  I’m adding 2 more to the system.  Will need another transformer,  was wondering if by adding another transformer to feed the zone valves, will the RA832A be okay when 24v is sent to it from both the transformers feeding the 2 sets or zone valves
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,794
    Options
    The 24V from the boiler control runs through the end switch of the zone valve . The end switch a dry contact . The new transformer is sized to power only the zone valves . When one opens it closes the contacts of the end switch .

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,907
    edited September 2023
    Options
    I can only guess what you actually have. There are some of those zone valves that are operated by a 3 wire thermostat because they are power open and power close. This diagram is actually using a 2 wire thermostat but the concept is the same.

When adding an additional transformer to this valve set up, you must have the transformer low voltage connected from the R on the transformer to the # 2 terminal on the WR zone valve. You must have the C on the transformer connected to # 1 on the WR zone valve. When you have it wired this way, the 24 volts from the #2 terminal will not send any power to the RA832A T T terminals. Once you have determined that your thermostats and transformer and zone valves are done this way, then you can add the second transformer and additional zone valve(s).

Notice that the additional transformer R is connected to the #2 of the new zone valve and the C is connected to the #1 terminal.

The end switches for the WR zone valves are connected to #3 and #2.

If you are not connected this way, then you need to post a diagram of the as built wiring so I can determine the best way to proceed.

Any Questions? Just ask away!

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,907
    Options
    Additional info:
    I modified the above diagram from this source diagram in the instruction sheet for the WR zone valves.
    As long as you follow the diagram one wire at a time (and remember the terminal #2 and #5 are internally connected inside the valve) and connect to the next valve in the same order as the previous valve. you should have no problem. I also want you to know that this was the hardest valve for me to teach, because of the design of the internal wiring was unlike any other valve. And finaly, get a box of 3 amp fuses and make up one of these for every transformer in the system.

This will keep the factory installed smoke inside the transformers. Once that smoke gets out, you will need to purchase a new transformer and perhaps a new valve or two.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?