Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Form Follows Function

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 659
edited September 2023 in THE MAIN WALL
Form Follows Function

Do you ever wonder why the chimneys are on the sides of most buildings? Or why most homes have eight-foot ceilings? In this episode, Dan Holohan explores how purpose shaped design throughout our industry’s history.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 960
    Awning companies that installed and removed canvas awnings seasonally were a real thing in the past. Our last local company that did so disappeared about 20 years ago. My house still has the hardware for them, and when I was a kid there were about a dozen homes in the immediate neighborhood that still had them installed every year. We knew autumn was officially here when the crews came to take them down for the winter. That and the smell of burning leaves but that’s another matter.

As for A/C, I love it. But it ruined our country! Aside from changing much of the social aspects of neighborhood living & regional migration, the big issue is that Washington DC is so insufferable in the summer the politicians were forced to take time away during recess to go physically back to face their constituents. It helped to remind them who they were supposed to represent 🙂
    Sweaty lobbyists had wilted influence for a couple months a year and that can mean a lot
    terry
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,577
  • scott w.
    scott w. Member Posts: 209
    I still have canvas awnings installed every May and take down at the end of Sept. Awnings really help to keep the heat out even with the best R value windows and air conditioning. Some folks keep the shades down all day long, who wants to live in a dark dreary house in the summer. I want to be able to look out the window and see all the greenery. Yellow canvas puts a warm glow into all the rooms when the sun shines. A drastic change when the awnings come down and that harsh bright fall sun comes flooding in through the glass. When the weather turns rainy I can have the windows open and enjoy hearing a summer rain. I couldn't live without them.
    MikeL_2jamplumb