Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New oil tank recommendations Roth or Granby

Hanna61
Hanna61 Member Posts: 34
edited September 2023 in THE MAIN WALL
Have 2 indoor 275-gallon tanks that will need replacing. So wondering, from your experiences, any preferences?

They are in a often damp cellar. Not sure how even the floor is.

I know the Roth is a double walled and from what I've seen it's only slightly more expensive than the Granby. But I know it's top fed too, which seems weird to me, so what happens with the contaminants/sludge .

Then again, I don't really know about these things, so long term folks here, please help. Maybe it seems too new fangled to me. The current tanks are over 30 years old.

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Well, if you don't re-use any oil, and get your supply from a company who only gets it from the refinery, not their own storage, you shouldn't have a problem. Just treat the tank in the fall with the first delivery.
    Those tanks are easy to get into thru the whistle or gauge, if you want, to run a pipe to the bottom to draw off any water/microbes annually if you wanted.
    Tank cleaning/polishing is pretty common everywhere but the US.
    If you're doing double tanks, the burner supply piping is a little involved with multiple connections, and I'd hate to do it, but I'd recommend a Tiger Loop at the burner.
    Both tanks (plastic inside tank with metal secondary containment) are the same to me. Granby does offer a steel tank with a double bottom and a true double wall steel tank-both much more expensive and really I wouldn't recommend it.
    Check with your insurance company, as a new tank, and especially a double wall tank with leak protection might save you a few bucks

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Hanna61
  • jesmed1
    jesmed1 Member Posts: 575
    edited September 2023
    We just had our two 275-gallon tanks replaced. They were 60 years old. We got two new Granby single-wall tanks and figure they'll last 30+ years with an occasional bottle of oil treatment.

The uneven floor is easy to deal with. Our tanks are installed on a rock ledge in the corner where every leg is a different length. The installer will just take some threaded iron pipe and cut each piece to the correct length, then screw it into the socket for the leg.

The damp cellar probably doesn't matter as the tanks come painted on the outside, so they're going to rust from the inside first anyway.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354
    I've installed both...more Granbys and Highlands than Roths. Not crazy about all the plastic fittings on The Roth...not cheap, but I question the durability vis-a-vis the steel ones.  Mad Dog 🐕 
    Hanna61
  • Hanna61
    Hanna61 Member Posts: 34
    Thanks Steve, interesting about drawing off the sludge, the multi connections and tiger loop. No way does my oil come from a refinery. Just some big old storage tanks.

jesmed, good to know about the legs and the dampness. Never thought so much about the rust coming from the INSIDE. Great point

Mad Dog - I wonder about the Roth versus the tried and true also. I know the tanks I have, have been here for ever. Didn't know about the plastic fittings, but after working in a commercial kitchen, those fitting seem like trouble.

Thanks all for your input!

Mad Dog_2
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,326
    edited September 2023
    I wonder which Granby tank you are comparing with the Roth. Granby has the Roth "wannabee" and i see no difference in the tank if you like the plastic tank in a metal tank idea. That tank has a 30 year warranty from both Granby and Roth

If you are talking about the standard oval tank, then that is a different story.Some folks don't like the plastic stuff, but I like them. If you are going with the metal oval tank then I must remind you that they should get a new coat of paint every 3 to 5 years, and when they are placed against the wall, that is difficult. Also, just this year, they changed the 10 year warranty back to a 3 year warranty as of January 2022.

If you don't want to do the painting maintenance, then get a coated tank like the Ecogard plus with the double bottom. Lots more money but that coating will save the outside from rusting away in that damp basement.

Sorry I just added more choices, and you thought this was going to be easy here

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?