Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Welding by exchanger

Options
Davidho
Davidho Member Posts: 30
Near the end of last season I noticed my my burners were burning the baseplate.  Getting ready for this season and pulled the cover. . Looks in pretty good condition to me for being installed in December 1997, but I am a tractor tech not on boilers.  Two of the bolts are stripped in the sheet metal and looking at it; getting the replacement back in place without more disassembly and issues that may be created, it is not practical.  The back side is also doing same thing.  Is cutting out the bad with a dremel cut off wheel and than welding in some new okay to do here?

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,844
    Options
    Is there a leak?
    What do you plan to weld?
    It looks like the block is sitting on a pedestal but don't know why there's kaowool rope down there.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,974
    Options
    There may be some underlying issues here. The burners should not be burning that plate. Putting the plate back in, without determining that the boiler is burning properly and is safe to operate, is doing yourself a big disservice. It's sort of starting off at third base. Let's start at first base and take it from there.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Davidho
    Davidho Member Posts: 30
    Options
    I don’t see any signs of a leak.  Been running excellent. 2400 squarefoot house built 1910 still all original 47 windows that were reglazed few years back.  Its runs 25-30 minutes about every 3 hours when temps higher 20s.  The way it looks, hot and cold so many times the metal is just finally fatigued and it has curled inward going between the burners and underneath the exchanger.   The exchanger seems to have all its weight on the sides.  This just looks like a metal box around the burners with insulation and some rope going in between it and the exchanger.  At the very least I am going to get it pulled back into place. I was just wondering if I start welding, that heat, will effect the cast iron boiler being so close.