Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

60’s baseboard boiler heat valve question

Options
Hi, Hope someone know what these are..
I have boiler heat with baseboard radiators. On the end there is a Sarco 1/2" valve. 3/4” nut with a slotted center for a screwdriver. Does anyone know if this is for bleeding or for controlling flow?
Are used PB blaster and a heat gun to free them up. The slotted part in the middle does not tighten up. It just keeps turning. I will attach some pictures. Maybe I’ll get some help.

Thanks in advance..

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,907
    edited September 2023
    Options
    That is similar to a ball valve. The slot in your photo indicated that it is open. The nut you removed is a packing gland adjustment. Too tight and you can't operate the valve. too loose and the valve will leak. Since you have removed it, you may be able to add some packing material. I have used teflon tape in a pinch, you can also use lamp wick. But you can also purchase graphite rope type gland packing. Or you could get this from your local Home Depot. https://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-3-32-in-x-36-in-Valve-Packing-80794/203193512

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• Kinger
    Kinger Member Posts: 3
    Options
    That’s what i was thinking but will it bleed air out when you loosen the nut as well, or just control flow?
    Thx
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,907
    Options
    Not a bleeder. Just a valve

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• Kinger
    Kinger Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you very much.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,198
    Options
    Seems like a lot of brass for a simple shut off, perhaps it has a balance function incorporated?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,568
    Options
    Looks like a balance valve probably not a tight shut off valve, reason being it turns and turns with no stop.