Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil Shut Off and Firematic Safety Valve Locations in Piping Outside 400 gal. Roth Tank

Question for Heating Help Discussion Forum

I would appreciate all thoughts on the piping of our new Roth Outside 400 gallon 68"high oil tank to our boiler. I am particularly interested in the need and location of oil shut off valves and Firematic (Fusible-link Saftey) valves in the piping.

Our tank sits on a cement pad 6’ from the 8” concrete wall of our crawl space. The boiler room is 40’ inside the wall. It contains a Buderus boiler, Beckett burner, Beckett Clearcut fuel pump, a Tiger Loop, a General oil filter and a small check valve on the supply line inches before the oil filter. The supply line looks like 5/8” copper and is well over 50 years old and needs to be replaced. It used to connect with a 1100 gallon underground tank (still in good condition but alas removed). Now it connects with a small temporary tank while I contemplate a new piping route and the need and location of oil shut off and fire safety valves.

I plan to run a continuous non coated 3/8” copper line from 4” above the bottom of the tank up through the Roth duplex bushing, down the side of the tank to 12” below ground (insulated, where necessary, with rubber pipe insulation) through the concrete wall, up to and along a large beam into the floor of the boiler room. There it will connect with a new check valve followed by a Fusible link Firematic Saftey valve, and into a General Oil Filter. It will continue to a Tiger Loop where flexible braided lines will then connect to the Cleacut fuel pump.

This plan values the uninterrupted run to the boiler room before connections to safety and shut off valves and oil filter. However, it should be noted that the Beckett burner is 4.5’ below the top of the oil tank “Filled” level, which raisies several questions.

1.---How does this oil tank filled / burner height differential affect the need and location of an anti siphon / check valve?

2.---Will this require the need for a basic oil shutoff valve (ball valve) in our easy accessible crawl space where the supply line enters the space? or

3.---Would a Firematic Safety valve be a better substitute for a regular shut off valve in the same space??

4.---Will these valves require Flare or Compression fittings?

I’m probably overlooking some other basic concerns here as I think my way through what started off as a very simple project, so I would truly appreciate all your insightful and pragmatic comments. Thank you everyone…

MikeAmann

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,989
    If it was mine it would be hooked up two pipe and I would use coated 3/8 tubing. I would put shut off valves at the tank (ball valves) and a firomatic where the lines enter the building and a firomatic at the burner. Skip the tiger loop.

But mine is considered and extreme view and wrong in most others' opinions. JMHO
  • leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,237
    I agree with EBEBRATT-Ed on how you should plumb this tank to your boiler with a 2 pipe system using coated 3/8" pipe with a ball valve at the tank, a firomatic valve where the pipes enter the building and a second firomatic valve at the burner.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,554
    1. Flare fittings only
    2. NFPA31 requires a fire safety valve where line enters building, before the filter and in proximity to burner. Deaerators require one at inlet. Depending where these components are located, you may be able to use only two fire safety valves
    3. Do not use two pipe, the deaerator takes the place of return line
    4. NFPA31 does not allow fire safety valves in return lines. Manually operated valves with handle removed are allowed
    5. Use a spin on type filter, not cartridge
    6. An OSV ( Oil Safety Valve) is always a good idea in any situation where a leak will result in a fuel spill
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,998
    I've got my outside Roth piped with a ball valve at the tank, 1/2" O.D. coated oil line sleeved through 3/4 seal tight buried 24 inches deep going to my crawlspace. Ball valve where it comes through to the basement. Tiger Loop Ultra with a vacuum gauge and braided lines to the burner. Lose the check valve.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,326
    HVACNUT said:

I've got my outside Roth piped with a ball valve at the tank, 1/2" O.D. coated oil line sleeved through 3/4 seal tight buried 24 inches deep going to my crawlspace. Ball valve where it comes through to the basement. Tiger Loop Ultra with a vacuum gauge and braided lines to the burner. Lose the check valve.

WOW , and I always thought you were one of those Anti-Tigerloop guys.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

MikeAmann