Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Troubleshooting In An Antique Building

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 659
edited September 2023 in THE MAIN WALL
Troubleshooting In An Antique Building

In this episode, Dan Holohan walks us through a troubleshooting job at Fraunces Tavern, which was built in 1719 and is the oldest structure in NYC.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TomP
    TomP Member Posts: 12
    edited September 2023
    Wow! You know how to make the history come alive. It is amazing that the mechanical pioneers figured out as much as they did.
  • KAGM
    KAGM Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the story Dan! I wish I could have been there with you seeing and exploring this magnificent piece of history. BTW, learning as well!
    Mad Dog_2
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,577
    Thanks!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354
    edited September 2023

A New York and American Treasure Fraunces' Tavern is. I never got to roam the basement, but the Oysters and Beefeater Martinis are first-class at the Grand bar. The Bartenders double as Tavern Historians  The Tavern survived a 1975 Bombing by the FALN and Hurricane Sandy. A must visit on your next trip to The Big Apple 🍎.  That's typical of New Yorkers..I only been to Lady Liberty once, class trip. Mad Dog 🐕 

CLamb
  • Fraunces Tavern is on my list next time I'm in NY City.

Is this where you got that George Washington hatchet story?
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • CLamb
    CLamb Member Posts: 309
    I wish they'd open the basement to the public! I've already seen the rest of it. Note that the tavern is built on landfill. The original shoreline is a handful of feet inland from it.
    Mad Dog_2