Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Manifold leak

TomM78
TomM78 Member Posts: 2
edited September 2023 in THE MAIN WALL
My parents have a boiler setup from the 60's that required a new bearing assembly and motor. After the swap one of the port on the copper manifold started to leak. The leak is due to gasket deteriorating. The issue is that i am unfamiliar with the type of gasket, the best way to describe it would be like compressed grease. Any info what or how to replace this gasket would be appreciated.
hot_rod

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    Looks like it is just packing. Usually on older valves it is some sort of fiber and usually some graphite. Might be asbestos, might be cotton, might be wool. Does it stop leaking if you tighten the packing nut? Don't go overboard tightening it or you could crack it. You can add or replace with string packing. Modern string packing is usually teflon. You might have to add a little, tighten it to compress it then add a little more, possibly repeating a few times. If you try to fill it all at once if you dig out the old packing and replace it you could break it.
  • TomM78
    TomM78 Member Posts: 2
    I did tighten it to the point where i knew going futher would be an issue but it still leaked. I believe your correct about the graphite. Did a search and found a picture of exactly what the gasket looks like(aded to post). If I can't find the gasket or the teflon approach doesn't work would u have any other suggestions? I was thinking if i can't get it to stop, cap that port off and T the line next to it as a feed.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,127
    Aside from the small manifold leak maybe possibly on your next circulator repair you should possibly take a look at a standard wet rotor circulator who electrical consumption would be possibly about 1/3 even on a standard non ecm motor and more on a ecm style motor . Aside from the cost which is about the same as the replacement motor or the impeller and bear assembly there non maintenance no oiling no bearing assembly and no motor coupling. With 5 pumps converted I would believe there would be a noticeable drop in electrical consumption as compared to what you’re using presently . Depending on the type of heating emitter they have an ecm temperature different pump would also most likely cut the fuel cost also . Just some food for thought and possible savings . I also would think some graphite packing material and dis assembly and re packing should stop the leak ,I would hate to have to abandone the manifold and cut in a tee to repipe .
    Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    Originally there was probably a molded packing that was in there, but string packing works the same, you just have to add and compress in a couple stages.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
    That boiler is a good candidate for a repipe using 5 zone valves and a Magna smart pump. I'd bet electrical savings would be close to 70% of the current cost using the B&G pumps