Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How old is this boiler?

Hello, I'm trying to pin down when this boiler was made or installed. H.B. Smith in Westfield, Massachusetts, where it was manufactured, is no longer open to my knowledge. Do any of these numbers mean anything to anyone? Or perhaps does anyone know a way I could determine a more precise date? The serial number did not get me very far. Only know that this model boiler was likely developed between the mid 60s and late 80s. Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,989
    edited September 2023
    Smith 2500 probably later half of the1960s-1970s most of the failures with those were the back sections. They are no longer available.
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 873
    We used to service a pair of these at a local senior citizen home. I am pretty sure they were installed around 1980, and were replaced around 1992. Numerous sectional failures in between 1987 until 1992. These boilers I am referring to were water boilers. Not my favorite cast iron boilers.
  • gunner77
    gunner77 Member Posts: 1
    Smith boilers are still around, even located in the same city you reference.  Some jurisdictions keep good records of install date. However since it’s a CIS they usually won’t have any records of sections being replaced.
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 955
    Ask in the office of the building the boiler is in. They may have or should have a record of the contract for the installation. Call any of the larger boiler companies in the area to see if they are the ones that installed it. Look on the insurance certificate for that boiler. In Pa it is required to be posted in the boiler room in plain sight. If you find one it will usually list the age of the boiler. If you can find out the insurance company that insures that pressure vessel they may know it's approximate age. If it is installed in the western side of Pa. I can supply a phone number of someone that may know it's age.