Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Two new videos this week. The case of the upset custodian and Testing a steam pop safety valve

Options
In The case of the upset custodian, the district replaced the old atmospheric cast iron boiler with three modular boilers. The custodian hated the new boilers and I think you will find the real reason and my solution interesting. Here is the link. https://youtube.com/watch?v=_CqcPC0hqUQ

In the Testing a steam boiler pop safety video, I talk about some things you should know when testing the safety valve. https://youtube.com/watch?v=SBypNhXDIJI
Ray Wohlfarth
Boiler Lessons
GGrossErin Holohan Haskell

Comments

• retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 911
    edited September 2023
    Options
    This probably should be it's own thread but I thought it would fit in with your discussion.

I've got 2 stories of testing the pop safety valves on steam boilers that you may enjoy. The first is at a high school just north of Zelienople, you know that school. The insurance inspector wanted the steam safety valves tested at his requested pressure of 10 PSIG. The custodian did not want the valves tested since they had not been opened or tested for many years. The inspector was there to witness the test. Both of the safety valves opened by the lever correctly but would not close completely. The inspector wanted them replaced so the custodian said he would replace them but instead got them to reset completely by using a hammer on the stem after everyone left.

Another time, the state and insurance inspector (same guy) wanted a 200 psi boiler 's safety valves tested at their relieving pressure. This was at a box company under the Highland Park Bridge. I arrived as did the inspector, and proceeded to fire the boiler to it's safety valve relieving pressure. Just before the safeties lifted at 200 psi, the boiler room became filled with the execs from the company to see the event. All that was missing was the folding chairs. Just before the safeties lifted, me and the insurance inspector donned our safety head sets. When the safeties lifted all the "suits" panicked and all of them headed for the exit. What a spectacle, 20 scared guys all trying to get out of there through 1 exit door at the same time since they all thought the boiler exploded.
    ttekushan_3
  • RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,507
    Options
    @retiredguy that's crazy on the first story but the second made me smile. Thanks for your expertise. We sold a boiler to Westinghouse and had to fire it until the relief valve opened. HP steam Nothing checks your sphincter muscle better
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
    ttekushan_3
  • WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,323
    Options
    I've heard of hydro statically testing pressure vessels by filling them completely with water and then adding pressure with a hydraulic pump or even a common grease gun on a small air compressor tank.
    If containment is lost due to vessel failure, much less mayhem.
    Might be something to think about the next time a suit or insurance company suggests a really dumb idea.
    I DIY.