Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Electric Radiant Snow & Ice Melt System.

Comments

• GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,127
    no insulation?
    Canucker
  • Allislandradiant
    Allislandradiant Member Posts: 38
    As per manufacturer it’s not needed. 
    Mad Dog_2
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    Who is the manufacture? Is a slab being poured on top with the tubes sitting on the ground?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • GGross
    Yeah the manufacturer can say it isn't needed, but as we all know heat moves to cold, and without insulation the owner will be paying more to heat the earth under the driveway
  • Allislandradiant
    Asphalt is being poured over the cables. They can handle the heat from the pour. Which is already done as of yesterday. 
    Mad Dog_2
  • Allislandradiant
    This is more for a safety conditions. The will have the option to turn it on or off depends on the snow.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    You have to love the manufactures sales reps, as long as their lips are moving, they are probably lying. It’ll probably spin the meter super fast for the first few years then stop working all together. Electric heat cable is fragile at best when properly encased in a concrete slab, all bets are off after being exposed to the super hot asphalt and a few years of being deflected by traffic.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Allislandradiant
    The customer was told all the factors and decided to go this route. We installed alarms on all the mats so if a problem happens during the asphalt pour we will hear it. So far so good. 
    Mad Dog_2CBRob
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,055
    What's the amp draw on something like that?
  • Allislandradiant
    The total draw is 190 amps. We broke it down to three zones that rotates on a time schedule. Each zone is about 63 amps which the panel can handle. 
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,703
    Yeah, asphalt is a tough go over foam insulation. You need a covering of stone dust or something to protect the foam.

Seems odd if it is for safety that you can only melt a 1/3 at a time? How many BTU/ sq ft?

You do nice looking work, good to have a pic of the install.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Allislandradiant
    It’s more of a “ Tire Track” installation. I always try to sell a hydronic system with foam board, gas condensing boiler with Tekmar controls. They are only going to use when necessary. Peace of mind I guess. 
    Mad Dog_2GGross
  • leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,237
    What are the prevailing winds like there??
    Having evergreens and other plantings on
    both sides will catch snow and drop it on
    the driveway.

I take it they do not own a snow blower yet??

• Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Mmmmmm, that'll be a nice electric bill!

190amps at 240 volts is 45.6kW. So at an average of $0.20 a kWh, that's $9.12/hour of operation. Or 1/3 of that at a time. 
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    Mad Dog_2
  • hot_rod

Mmmmmm, that'll be a nice electric bill!

190amps at 240 volts is 45.6kW. So at an average of $0.20 a kWh, that's $9.12/hour of operation. Or 1/3 of that at a time. 

$240 per day to run it? Could be a one time system when that sticker shock hits!

45Kw = 153,000 btu/hr into how many square feet?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • jimna01
    jimna01 Member Posts: 38
    pretty darn sure at my electric rate ( currently $0.25 / KWh delivered, it was $0.34 last winter ) that would never be turned on at my house.  I’ll clear it off with my snowblower. The snow blower would pay for itself in no time . 
    Solid_Fuel_ManCBRob
  • GGross
    Snow melt is a luxury for sure. In my region we usually figure for 150btu/hr /sqft including backloss. It's a bit less when idling, but most of our customers here are wealthy vacationers and may still do a cold start of their snow melt occasionally.

I honestly don't think it is that crazy for sporadic use in this case, Long island averages a little less than 1/3rd the snowfall we get here, design day is about 20 degrees warmer, and it is pretty obvious the owner doesn't plan to run it constant through every storm.
  • Allislandradiant
    The snow fall for Long Island last year was estimated about 6 to 8 inches last year.
    GGross
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354
    edited August 2023
    And some of  you guys wonder why I am so meticulous?? Richie and his top Guys Jimmy The Gent Burke and his protégé, Michael Pedicini broke me in on heating and boilers.  I wanted to do work like they did...Great Teachers I had!  We all knew about and followed Dan back then too.  
    As usual, Richard and James...OUTSTANDING craftsmanship!!
    All Island Radiant & Snowmelt is killin it. The Great Colorado Madman, Mark Eatherton told me before I did my first Snowmelt; "Snowmelt is a luxury for wealthy folks...If they ask you how much its going to cost to run, they really can't afford it!"  I have found that to be right. 99%of leads, referrals and inquiries, are just Tire Kickers...Mad Dog 🐕 

Mad Dog 
    Allislandradiant
  • GGross
    Oh I thought they got a bit more, we get about 10 feet on average, google says we only got 73" last year,
  • Mad Dog_2
    We don't get tons of snow every season, but we do get walloped every few years...with several feet.  Wealthy folks plus Very Steep driveway = Snowmelt mad dog 🐕 
    GGross
  • Allislandradiant
    At the end of the day it’s their house and their choice.
    Mad Dog_2GGrossSolid_Fuel_Man
  • hot_rod
    Snowmelts can also often be as a safety measure for accessible ramps, hospital access, etc.

In the mountains near me the cost to haul snow away with loaders and dump trucks in conjested condo projects more than offsets the cost to run SIMs. Two operaters, equipment and diesel costs has to be over $500.00 per hour.

Plus those folks dislike hearing roaring diesels around the clock in the winter.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    AllislandradiantMad Dog_2
  • Allislandradiant
    99% of our SIMs are installed for safety issues. Either somebody has fallen and months of physical therapy, the driveway has a incline and could slide into on coming traffic or a business that just wants to keep the customers safe.
    Mad Dog_2Solid_Fuel_Man
  • pecmsg
    The total draw is 190 amps. We broke it down to three zones that rotates on a time schedule. Each zone is about 63 amps which the panel can handle. 
    On the isle of Long?

W O W!
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    I always give my customers as much of the full picture as I can. 

I actually considered doing snowmelt on my own personal driveway before I had it paved. The cost of the cable scared me off. 

PEX covered with asphalt wasn't an option as far as I could tell back then. I'd love to melt snow with wood!!!! 

I've done some controls on snowmelt systems for hospital sidewalks. Steam shell&tube to glycol pex.... make some condensate!!
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Hospitals and municipalities are doing it for Life safety, which a good deal of private citizens do as well.   Very steep and treacherous driveways on busy roads are often the reason why.  That being said, snowmelt is a High ticket item to not only install but also to operate.  Large entities such as hospitals, heliports, airports, winter villages have the "wealth" (Large amounts of disposable income) to be able to afford to do the  install and run it.  Most average, working folks don't, including myself who DID install the insulation & tubing (pipe dream!) , but realized at the time, that  I REALLY didn't have the extra $$$ for a separate boiler and all the accouterments,  NOR to run it.  Today, It lies under my long driveway, waiting for the next owner who has the "extra" $$$ to spend.  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • pecmsg
    Hook it up to a solar collector. 
    Mad Dog_2Canucker
  • realliveplumber
    realliveplumber Member Posts: 354
    I wonder how much better it would work if there was insulation under it.
  • Mad Dog_2
    edited August 2023

That was my Plan.....Solar Collectors, Flat Plate HX, separate boiler, Glycol..Large storage tanks....ADDS up my friend $$$$$. Don't regret laying the grid but it was extra money I really didn't have to "experimemt" and "play" with. All the Copper Radiant that went in the Levittown homes had no insulation. Grew Tulips 🌷 along the edge of the house in winter. Definitely not energy efficient, but it did work. Just like this one will work fine.  

Proper Insulation, like the 2" Polystyrene Blue Board is awesome but NOT cheap. People have to make a choice. I put it in their hands. As Dan says, Don't tell Them how to spend their hard earned money!  

Mad Dog 🐕 

Solid_Fuel_Man
  • hot_rod
    If we knew the square footage you could come up with a btu/ sq ft

if it is low below 100 or 125 and with no insulation, the start up time will be long.

The tire track method will help out as will the staging

Hopefully they have posi-traction in their vehicles 🥴

As long as all of this was explained then the HO makes the $$ decisions

The mats look like a quick install
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 2,007

I'd love to melt snow with wood!!!!

I have about 2000 SF of snowmelt at home which is served by a wood boiler. There are also electric and LP boilers tied into the same system, which also heats 6000 SF of buildings and DHW, but I've never run the snowmelt on anything but wood. It's nice when I have a bunch of crates, pallets, cardboard, and other junk that I need to burn- as I can turn that junk into melted snow lol.

Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Allislandradiant
    The customer was given all the options. Install insulation with a concrete over pour to protect the cables from the hot asphalt and a Tekmar 670 with the auto storm feature to preheat the driveway before the snow is called for.

Yes, the mats are a lot easier than the straight electric cables which we have done before.

The staging of the mats will give us a lot more opportunities to sell more jobs.
    Mad Dog_2Solid_Fuel_ManCBRob
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    @Allislandradiant what brand of mats are those? Maybe you mentioned it, and I didn't see it. 

I was only offered the cable as an electric option. I liked the idea of electric radiant driveway. So simple with no pumps, glycol, and very little controls. 

I'd be fine spending $20 on electric after I snowblowed to get rid of ice etc. Just doing key areas that are steeply sloped. 

I think my wholesaler quoted price/ft² was about what it cost me to lay 2" of asphalt. 
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Fuel Man...where art thou in Northern Maine?  We've been on 6 Summer trips to 6 different parts of Maine .. Gorgeous State.   Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Mad Dog_2 said:
    Fuel Man...where art thou in Northern Maine?  We've been on 6 Summer trips to 6 different parts of Maine .. Gorgeous State.   Mad Dog 🐕 
    Presque Isle. 

It's a big state for sure!
    Mad Dog_2
  • dko
    dko Member Posts: 668

what brand of mats are those? Maybe you mentioned it, and I didn't see it. 

I was only offered the cable as an electric option. I liked the idea of electric radiant driveway. So simple with no pumps, glycol, and very little controls. 

I'd be fine spending $20 on electric after I snowblowed to get rid of ice etc. Just doing key areas that are steeply sloped. 

I think my wholesaler quoted price/ft² was about what it cost me to lay 2" of asphalt. 

https://www.warmlyyours.com/en-US/products/line/snow-melting-mat
    probably this one
  • Mad Dog_2
    Presque Isle...dang Boy! That's the Boonies...only been as high as Lubec. How is passage in to Canada 🇨🇦 there? Are there any barriers,  fences?  RCMPs? Could one stroll through in the woods?  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    edited August 2023
    Mad Dog_2 said:
    Presque Isle...dang Boy! That's the Boonies...only been as high as Lubec. How is passage in to Canada 🇨🇦 there? Are there any barriers,  fences?  RCMPs? Could one stroll through in the woods?  Mad Dog 🐕 
    Customs crossings at pretty much every border town. There are actually sensors on poles all through the woods. I've worked on the system. Large antenna at the customs stations, and even larger diesel generators in case someone tries to make a run for it. 

You now need a passport, but just a few questions and you can travel Canada. I haven't been over since COVID 
    Mad Dog_2