Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

One More Question About Our Old Guy Plumber

Options
gotgas
gotgas Member Posts: 73
One more question. When he converted the top of the MPT washing machine box to pex, he did not use any tape. He only used pipe dope. 

Also, we are running all Pex A and he used a Pex B barb connection and a crimp ring. Not the copper type, but the stainless crimp rings. 

I don't want to insult the old duffer, but I really would like to replace those with PEX A to FPT connections with tape and use the proper expansion fitting. What do you think?

Comments

• HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    edited August 2023
    Options
    You mean Oetiker clamps? I have used these clamps on Type A pipe and haven't had a problem. Pipe dope is fine. Tape is fine. Tape and pipe dope for the belt and suspenders guys is fine.
    A problem might be that the type B barbed brass fitting may be smaller than a type A fitting which relies upon a expanded Type A pipe to provide full flow. For a washing machine it would make much difference regarding flow.

gotgas
  • WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,305
    Options
    On new construction with pex for water, wouldn't it be possible to completely avoid pipe threads and buy fixtures that can be directly crimped to pex? That way you only need to buy one labor skill set. Crimping.
    Tape vs dope vs tape-dope combo. Any of those three methods can be done correctly or incorrectly. If you insist on adding tape, you are micro-managing your plumber.
    I DIY.
    gotgasMad Dog_2
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    Options
    WMno57, ya, I get enough micro-managing from my wife. I surely don't need it on the job.
    gotgasRobomooIntplm.Mad Dog_2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,680
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Some plastics don't like you to use dope on them because they are concerned about damage from the petroleum products in the dope. It is very unlikely to cause a problem even if they prohibit it in the instructions. I think you can use pex b fittings on pex a. Not as good a joint as expansion fittings, but unless you specified it, I think it is allowed by the code and the manufacturer.
    gotgasMad Dog_2GGross
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    As long as the listing numbers are correct you can mix and match tube and fittings. Pex A can be expanded or crimped.

If you are talking just a few fittings the difference between a crimp and expanded fitting will not be noticeable at the wash machine.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    gotgas
  • gotgas
    Options
    hot_rod said:

As long as the listing numbers are correct you can mix and match tube and fittings. Pex A can be expanded or crimped.

If you are talking just a few fittings the difference between a crimp and expanded fitting will not be noticeable at the wash machine.

Appreciate it. I am going to leave it alone.
    Mad Dog_2
  • John Abbott
    John Abbott Member Posts: 356
    Options
    hot rod hit the nail right on the head, the clamping method msut be listed for for the fitting, very specific numbers.
    gotgas
  • gotgas
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Here is the follow up.

I left the fittings alone. We connected and pressurized the water system and they both leaked. We could not turn on the water at the street until after the drywall was installed, finished, and primed. (Due to some really stupid city issues) Now we have to cut primed drywall to get to the box to correct the terminations. A real bummer.
  • 109A_5
    109A_5 Member Posts: 1,386
    Options
    Hello @gotgas,
    gotgas said:

Here is the follow up.

I left the fittings alone. We connected and pressurized the water system and they both leaked. We could not turn on the water at the street until after the drywall was installed, finished, and primed. (Due to some really stupid city issues) Now we have to cut primed drywall to get to the box to correct the terminations. A real bummer.

Was it pressure tested with air before the drywall went up ?

National - U.S. Gas Boiler 45+ Years Old
    Steam 300 SQ. FT. - EDR 347
    One Pipe System
  • gotgas
    Options
    109A_5 said:

Hello @gotgas,

No, he did not think that was necessary because the town did not require it.
    Mad Dog_2mattmia2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,988
    Options
    How many leaks?  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • 109A_5
    109A_5 Member Posts: 1,386
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Hello @gotgas,
    gotgas said:

109A_5 said:

Hello @gotgas,

No, he did not think that was necessary because the town did not require it.
    So he is good with repairing the leaks and the damage and extra work and materials needed they caused ???

National - U.S. Gas Boiler 45+ Years Old
    Steam 300 SQ. FT. - EDR 347
    One Pipe System
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,988
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Sorry guys...don't like Lawn Sprinkler clamps (Oetiker?). Uponor or Viega.  Its no excuse, but I prefer to use products that don't come back to haunt me.  Mad Dog 🐕 
    realliveplumberreggi
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,680
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Now the plumber can pay for the drywall, painting, and other finish work. Unless your local code takes a major detour from the model codes, a pressure test with water is required. That should be performed before it is connected to the utility.(and before the walls are closed up if the plumber doesn't want to be on the hook for reworking that).
  • gotgas
    Options
    Mad Dog_2 said:
    How many leaks?  Mad Dog 🐕 

Only two, the two connections this thread referenced in the first post. The only connections he made were the two on the washing machine box. We did the rest ourselves. His were the only ones that leaked.
  • gotgas
    Options
    Mad Dog_2 said:
    Sorry guys...don't like Lawn Sprinkler clamps (Oetiker?). Uponor or Viega.  Its no excuse, but I prefer to use products that don't come back to haunt me.  Mad Dog 🐕 

He used oetiker. Everything else is expansion. Now those are expansion as well. No oetiker in either house.
  • gotgas
    edited October 2023
    Options
    mattmia2 said:
    Now the plumber can pay for the drywall, painting, and other finish work.
    I think we will let it slide. He charged us a total of about $2,500 to completely Plumb two houses. We did most of the water supply lines ourselves, under his oversight. He did all of the drain lines himself including the ones under the slab. All of the drains and vents were tested.

Because we used vaulted ceilings, some of the vent lines were really tough to locate. He did a great job on all of that and is also 80 years old.

As disappointed as I am about these leaks, overall we are thrilled with him. I am not even going to tell him about these leaks. He is a pretty good old guy.
    realliveplumberSuperTechhot_rod