Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rinnai ru98 code11

DanSD
DanSD Member Posts: 2
Hi, bought a house about a year ago that had a 7 year old ru98 natural gas water heater. It has been problematic since day one. Got it to work approximately 70% of the time with a flush, new flame rod, igniter and electrode. Now it throws a code 11 unless I restrict the airflow from the fan at ignition and will continue to run until it gets hot enough to extinguish the flame. Problem is that if I'm in the shower, I can't be there to help it reignite. I have replaced the igniter and the electrode again but to no avail. Clearly it isn't getting a strong enough spark, not enough gas or too much air to light on it's own.
Anybody had this problem? I live in rural SD and I'm getting pretty tired of waiting for parts to ship. Wondering if Rinnai is just a junk brand and maybe I'd be more satisfied with a brand that's sold locally.
Thanks,

Comments

• GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,127
    What is the gas pressure before ignition, measure the drop after ignition, measure at high fire, and record the pressure it locks to when the unit shuts off.
  • DanSD
    DanSD Member Posts: 2
    As soon as I (a machinist) figures out how to measure that and obtains the propper gauges, I will report back. That seems like good data to have as I'm planning to add a gas fireplace to the house.

Thank you.