Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New boiler with domestic hot water - Burnham Alta or WM GV-90 with indirect HW heater

I need to replace my 30 year old hydronic boiler with indirect HW heater soon. Will do a Manual J. Will the hot water output on the Burnham Alta be satisfactory for shower or bath? There is a big cost savings by not needing an indirect hot water heater. Baseboard was probably designed for 180* water. Living in Denver. If it was your house, what would you install? Natural gas fuel.

Thanks for your insights.

Steve
Steve from Denver, CO

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    I'd start with the heat loss and radiation survey to figure out if you can run low enough water temp to run a condensing boiler at condensing temps.

If you cant then the next question is do you have a conventional vent that is in good shape.

If you have a good vent and cant run return water temps below 140 or do then there is no benefit to a condensing boiler and a conventional cast iron boiler makes more sense.

There are limitations to a combi, how you use hot water and your incoming water temp makes all the difference in if that makes sense or not.
  • Steve Garson_2
    Steve Garson_2 Member Posts: 712
    No chimney. Present boiler is direct vented through the wall. I am doing the Manual J and will calculate the present baseboard BTU output. Since Denver has lots of sun, daytime requires a lot less energy for heating. Incoming water temp in winter could be 45-50 or so.
    Steve from Denver, CO
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,180
    Are you retiring your WM GV-5?
    How old is it and did it start to leak?
    mattmia2
  • Steve Garson_2
    The present boiler is fine, but 30 years old and a GV series 1.  I’m thinking it might be prudent to replace sooner rather than later.
    Steve from Denver, CO
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,180
    There is another posting here about the WM GV 90.

30 year cast iron and still running, I have followed your postings for the old boiler, and you seemed to minimal issues with the GV.

I would lean in that direction again, IIWM.

What do you have for WH now?
  • Steve Garson_2
    Amtrol indirect tank
    Steve from Denver, CO