Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Stiebel Eltron air to water heater pump

Options
Anyone try the new air to water WPL 25 with their buffer/indirect tank? Just been in USA few months. Will do 140 at 15 outside. Pretty impressive #s, at least on paper.
Tim
Hot_water_fan

Comments

• GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I'm holding out for the LG monobloc that is coming out in the next year or so. They are using them in other markets currently. Full capacity down to -13f. Still need to use backup, or electric resistance to get over 149 though
  • WDGIBBS_M_E
    WDGIBBS_M_E Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I’ve been pursuing air-to-water heat pumps for use as a retrofit for my house in VA & coming up short at every turn. While they’re a few geothermal installers around, no one has yet explored air-to-water units or shown interest in my inquiries. I was unaware that these WPL units had made it to the US. Units from Canada cost to much to buy and ship. Units from Europe & Asia are common but not in US market yet, sadly. The ATW units made or assembled in US are - Enertech, Chiltrix, Taco System M, SpacePac -to my knowledge. Except for Chiltrix possibly, all can’t be supplied to me for lack of authored dealer installers. Frustrated!
  • H2OBandit603
    H2OBandit603 Member Posts: 48
    Options
    I’m not an HVAC contractor but I was able to install one of these for my father without much trouble because it’s a sealed system no refrigerant hookup.

https://www.eco2waterheater.com/product-info

119 gallon tank inside with the heat pump outside, CO2 refrigerant, I just gave 2 dogs very lengthy showers and cleaned myself off afterwards and still had scalding hot water to spare(he refused to install a mixing valve).

makes 150 F when incoming ambient temp is above 65 F, 145 F below 65 F all the way down to -26 F.  I havnt verified this personally as we installed it in June but this thing works great and runs less than you would think.
    NH well driller and pump installer, 3rd generation
    What one man can do, another can do.
    WMno57
  • H2OBandit603
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I realize it’s too close to the propane.
    WMno57
  • WDGIBBS_M_E
    WDGIBBS_M_E Member Posts: 3
    Options
    ECO2 is very interesting. Used in Japan for several years. Made in Japan. CO2 refrigerant is a plus. However, no dealer/installers anywhere close (sent email inquiry about that). Can't make chilled water for cooling or be used for heating below a design temp of 22F.
    H2OBandit603
  • H2OBandit603
    Options
    True…it’s distributed through FW Webb around here and we couldn’t get them to give us a break on the price, felt a little silly paying list for something but we did get 30% back as a tax credit to the tune of $2000
  • H2OBandit603
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Japan indeed.  The tanks are made in Australia.  Very nice.
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Only issue is they really don't have capacity for heating above appx 10000 btu. Plus doesn't like higher return temps.
    H2OBandit603
  • H2OBandit603
    Options
    While all you say is true, I don’t think there is a “better” domestic water heater option out there.  I love that the oil boiler stays off most of the year now that the indirect tank is gone.