Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler relief valve

tandrews
tandrews Member Posts: 2
Ok - this seems silly but I need clarification. Been a long time since I worked on a boiler. I always understood that a hot water boiler had a pressure relief valve for overpressure conditions; an aquastat for water temp setting; and hopefully, a high temperature limit control. In looking at a university presentation for boilers, it states that hot water boilers have a temp/pressure relief valve - not pressure only. I thought that pressure relief valves for boilers are rated for use up to about 250 degrees but did not believe that they would activate based on temperature or pressure. How is that even done without the temp stem like on a water heater temp/pressure relief valve. Can someone educate me please? Thanks.

Comments

• GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,127
    edited August 2023
    Boilers for space heating make use of a pressure relief valve. Perhaps the university presentation got their terms mixed up, made a typo, or were perhaps talking about large commercial water heaters, which are technically boilers as well, we just commonly call a piece of equipment a "boiler" when it is used for space heating, or indirect water heating, or both
    mattmia2
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,703
    There are some combined systems out there that share DHW and heating appliance. Maybe that is the case with needing a T&P?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • tandrews
    tandrews Member Posts: 2
    Thanks very much for the response - it is along the lines of my thoughts. Appreciate it!