Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Baseboard Heating

rosaliedipietro2
rosaliedipietro2 Member Posts: 16
I am renovating an apartment which has hot water/baseboard hearing....10' long, 8' long, and 3' long. The baseboards are the original from 1965. One of them, most of the fins are bent.

Are the baseboards sold today more efficient than those from 1965? Should I just straigthen the fins and buy new covers? Should I have the fins/tubes all replaced?

Let me know your thoughts!
Mad Dog_2

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,122
    the output for similar size element and enclosure is similar. you could do any of the above but the element and enclosure are not expensive so you should probably just replace the parts that are beat up.
    EdTheHeaterManMad Dog_2rosaliedipietro2
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,254
    edited August 2023
    Yes and no. What you are calling he efficiency of the radiators is based on the amount of surface area and the temperature of that surface area. I believe you actually mean output of the radiator. Since most of the radiator companies use a similar size fin on a 3/4" copper tube, then the ones you have can be reused, But getting those fins to line up evenly after you try to straighten them out, well lets just say that labor isn't cheep. I find it more cost effective to replace the entire radiator, over spending the time to get the old fins just right. Of course that means draining those pipes so you can reconnect the new rads. You may need to solder some fittings on that very thin copper, I'm not sure how well Press fittings work on that thin tubing. Someone else here may have that answer to that.

The manufacturers of radiators have different sizes that have different BTU output, usually a smaller one (about 6" to 7" tall) and a larger one (about 8" to 9" tall) so you can get the "More efficient" (but actually more output per foot) radiator if that is what you are looking for.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

rosaliedipietro2
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,643
    Does the space stay sufficiently warm? If not you could upgrade to some high output baseboard.

Here is an example of one brand. Fairly rugged covers on these.

I believe there is an insert for that thin copper tube to press onto it?

I guess it depends on what you want to spend for a repair or upgrade?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    mattmia2
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Keep them clean. Pet hair clogs them up pretty quickly. Even a person who keeps a 'clean' house will need to clean those fins out.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• rosaliedipietro2
    rosaliedipietro2 Member Posts: 16
    Are the baseboard covers with dampers (which I currently have) more efficient than the ones without a damper and just have multiple holes?
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,122
    Efficiency is about equal. the dampers let you balance the system somewhat.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,643
    Keeping the fins clean and straight is the best way to keep them working properly. a needle nose pliers is one way to straighten badly damaged fins. They will never look pretty again :)

Also they need a few inches of space below the fins to allow airflow. Make sure no carpet, flooring, or throw rugs block that opening along the bottom.

Cooler air enters the bottom opening and is warmed as it passes across the fins.

Same applies on the top, curtains or wall hangings can block the air movement across the fins.

Operating them at higher water temperatures can increase output if you are falling short on cold days.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    MikeL_2rosaliedipietro2