Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Copper supply lines through cinder block

Options
seized123
seized123 Member Posts: 297
My oil supply lines currently enter the house at ground level from the above ground tank, and it appears that the entrance point is simply a rough hole in the cinder block. The 1/2 inch copper lines appear to be wrapped in black tape at the hole, and that orange foamy stuff is sprayed around them, filling the hole. 

We’ll probably be removing the lines to convert from a two to a one pipe system (using new jacketed copper line). While we’re at it, I thought it’d be better/neater to have the line go through a small length of pipe rather than just a hole, for added protection and/or neatness (I guess schpritzing foam on the inside of the pipe and some kind of concretey stuff on the outside?)

Any reason not to use PVC? I figure you guys probably often have to stick copper lines through cinder block, what’s your preferred method?

Comments

• PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,163
    Options
    PVC is perfect, upsize a bit to allow for feeding and sealing around the line. 
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,977
    Options
    If you really want the best you can do. There is a product called Link Seal that is also used.
    You can use it around a PVC sleeve or around the actual pipe, link Seal provides a calculation chart on what size pipe you will be using through the wall to make a water-tight seal. Google it up and see if it's worth your while.
  • seized123
    seized123 Member Posts: 297
    Options
    Awesome, thanks.

Looked up Link Seal, that is a very cool product.
    Intplm.