Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can overfill cause the pipe leaking?

Options
Hsin
Hsin Member Posts: 1
edited July 2023 in Oil Heating
My oil company overfilled my tanks cause a big oil spill on back yard and leaking pipe in basement, driver left the house without inform us that the tank was overfilled. We didn’t have a leaking before the oil delivery.  On the day oil was delivered, we asked the driver if he needs to go check before the filling . The driver ignored us. When we smelled the oil in the house and  went down basement and back yard , we saw the oil was leaking. They was a  8 ounce soup container near the filling line full with oil. We contacted oil company and they came to clean up and fixed the leaking pipe. However, they claimed that the leaking was no cause by their negligence.  There was NO leaking before the oil delivery . They want us to pay for cleanup, Or they won’t get sign off from DEC. Can over fill tank cause a pipe leaking?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Was this the first fill by the oil company? Why were you asking them to check, and check what, before they filled it?
    If they spilled it from over filling then it’s their fault.
    Otherwise, after an initial inspection, a full service oil company won’t inspect the entire piping and tank after that. And if you call around and always get oil from different vendors based on price, most likely none of them inspect before delivery. It’s just the driver’s responsibility to make sure fill and vent look ok (on a basement tank), and the vent alarm is whistling.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,693
    Options
    Might have caused something that was about to fail to finally fail but if it was the tank or the piping, not caused by them. I have seen overfilling pop the top of the gauge off and I would consider that a result of the overfilling.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,008
    Options
    I agree with the guys.  You can't hold them responsible for YOUR system's integrity.  Even a visual exam of the piping is no guarantee of anything.  Overfilling is on THEM..Mad Dog 🐕 
  • realliveplumber
    realliveplumber Member Posts: 354
    Options
    There's always 2 sides to every story. We've only heard one.
    CLamb
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,556
    Options
    If there is a problem with your vent pipe overfill/over pressure can cause a leak and damage the tank.

I have seen this happen although rare.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,008
    Options
    I've seen a few oil tank vents, over the years, run out in PVC. Mad Dog 🐕