Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How Many Check Electric Elements That Could Be Stuck on?

Options
JUGHNE
JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,074
Lady said the AC wasn't cooling well.

I back flushed the outside coil, added some R410 to bring up the numbers.

Then she pointed out that a 2nd floor floor register seemed to have warm air passing out of it when the unit was off.

Sure enough one 5 KW element was stuck on. I have had this happen before.
But the numbers on the AC showed it to be cooling fine.

This is a HP air handler and the elements are of course above the inside coil.

The 2nd floor run came off the top of the plenum and would heat up by gravity.
That element would overheat and shut down on limit if no fan running.

I isolated the leads and will replace the heating relay and limit.

I can see the scenario where one could sell a new system as this one was "worn out" and a new system would cool better.

Amp clamp will show it within seconds.
PC7060109A_5bburd

Comments

• PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,173
    Options
    Wow, you to think that high usage would’ve have really stood out on electric bill.  
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,042
    Options
    PC7060 said:

Wow, you to think that high usage would’ve have really stood out on electric bill.  

For some of our customers, that high electric bill could go unnoticed for years. Others need to watch every penny. Good find @JUGHNE

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

JUGHNE
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,074
    Options
    This is a single lady with budget billing and auto pay from her checking account.

She might only look at the billing once a year and assume the rates just go up.

It is a pretty sophisticated billing procedure needing 2 pages printed out each month.

With all the "smart" technology involved this could have been noticed using HDD and previous history......however if the usage drops a considerable amount that account will be flagged.

She watches her pennies.... but doesn't have to. ;)

Another observation was that this is a 20 KW element bank. One of the 2 breakers was shut off in the panel. So the house was heated with only 10 KW and a 3 ton heat pump. 1970's built.