Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A new toy for someone

Options
The features of the new system could have been implemented on the old system at modest cost, years ago….NBC 

https://www.architectmagazine.com/technology/products/school-building-graduates-from-oil-to-propane-heating

Comments

• Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 663
    Options
    Engineers......... I often wonder who they're really working for. Maybe there should be a fiduciary rule for them too.
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.
  • WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,330
    edited July 2023
    Options
    "We had 300 psi of oil running through the building, and I just saw that as a nightmare one day,” said Riggins, who has a background in environmental remediation. He was glad to be rid of the 10,000-gallon underground oil tank. Riggins had three 2,000-gallon propane tanks installed in its place.
    I find the 300 psi part hard to believe. At the burner, maybe. Throughout the building????????
    I DIY.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    I wonder if someone confused 300 psi pump pressure on the burner with thinking All the oil lines were under 300 psi.
    To me it’s the typical “we switched from [very old, antiquated] oil to very modern gas and we’re going to save a ton of money”. Did anyone look into modern oil equipment, especially bio, and do a real world comparison?
    Old water heaters, gas or oil, would have less and less output as they age and build up scale (and had no waterside maintenance).
    Sure hope propane prices don’t go insane, and/or any supply issues.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,042
    edited July 2023
    Options
    @STEVEusaPA, You are preaching to the choir here. NBC is showing an article in a trade journal. No one here is able to make your argument about keeping oil heat to those deciding on this project. Those folks have already made the decision based on experts other than us here? And who's to say that the fuel company isn't the propane supplier anyway. Still going to get deliveries from truck drivers and service/maintenance from someone in the business.

And what do architects know about energy costs anyway.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Maybe the same engineers will be working on this:

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/inside-the-barbie-dreamhouse-a-fuchsia-fantasy-inspired-by-palm-springs

The present heat wave will need powerful solutions for this, and designing them will separate the men from the boys.
    WMno57CLamb