Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The case of the dirty burner, this Friday's case

RayWohlfarth
RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,596
We sold a pair of boilers to an apartment building. Six years later, the owner purchased two more for the sister building next door. We got a call and the owner said one of the new boilers was not working. When I arrived, something seemed off but I couldn't put my finger on it. The malfunctioning burner appeared to be dirtier and scratched more than than the other. I attributed it to being the lead boiler and getting more work. The blower motor was defective and when I sent the information one the burner, the manufacturer said it was not in warranty. What do you think happened? My answer will be on Friday
Ray Wohlfarth
Boiler Lessons

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,989
    what @GGross said
    SuperTechmattmia2
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,212
    Definitely what @GGross said is very believable. 
    mattmia2EBEBRATT-Ed
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    I'll thrown dirty makeup air with grit in it in here, but I think @GGross has it.
    EBEBRATT-Ed
  • RayWohlfarth
    @GGross You were the first to guess the correct answer. I can't believe you guys picked that up so quickly. I must be naive. I never thought someone would do that. Thank you sirs! Here is the link to the video
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=PdM1IyPLl40

I have a second video published this week about barometric dampers and what they do. Have a great weekend all
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=0O7ckkZFJ5M
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,279
    @GGross You were the first to guess the correct answer. I can't believe you guys picked that up so quickly. I must be naive. I never thought someone would do that.
    Haha, we should earn our cynics badge!   With honors for @GGross:D
    GGrossMikeAmann
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,127
    I like in your video "can you imagine the nerve of some people?" Unfortunately yes, yes I can 😂
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211

@GGross You were the first to guess the correct answer. I can't believe you guys picked that up so quickly. I must be naive. I never thought someone would do that. Thank you sirs! Here is the link to the video
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=PdM1IyPLl40

I have a second video published this week about barometric dampers and what they do. Have a great weekend all
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=0O7ckkZFJ5M

If i'm not mistaken, @GGross works at a supply house so they've seen it many times.
    GGrossCLamb
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,180
    The manager might have gotten away with the scam if they had only switched the motor itself. Although it may had serial numbers on it also that would date it.

But if the motor was returned it would look pretty used and denied also.
  • RayWohlfarth
    @PC7060 lol I am a cynic now
    @GGross sounds like you have experience 
    @JUGHNE still can’t believe people do that
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,180
    Ray, some people will do that with a light bulb you might have just installed!
    mattmia2MikeAmann
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 955
    That customer must have been an idiot to pay someone the labor to switch the burners just to get a free replacement blower motor. The cost to switch the burners would far exceed the cost of the new replacement motor. Also, the serial numbers on the burner would show it's approximate age. I guess that small minded people will do almost anything, to think that there was money to be saved. What an idiot.
    PC7060
  • dko
    dko Member Posts: 668
    If you see a missing water heater sticker on a new tank it's because the original installer took it off to get a free replacement warranty tank for the next leaking water heater that is out of warranty.

These things are very common.
    CLamb
  • RayWohlfarth
    I was in awe that someone would do something like that. Thanks for depressing me about society now LOL

Hey @retiredguy I was thinking about you the other day. There was an accident where a construction worker fell through a hole in the gym roof. The worker died from the fall. One of the local news outlets showed one of the CSE trucks and I thought it was one of their guys. Turned out it was a steel worker welding support beams for the new rooftop units
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 955
    edited July 2023
    @RayWohfarth, many years ago, we had a situation where a newer hire was walking across the ceiling of a swim pool, where he was warned not to go, at if I remember correctly was at the Altoona High School and fell through that ceiling. What saved him was that he stretched his arms when he fell and did not fall totally through. This was in the summer and the pool was drained. It would have been a disastrous fall. It took hours to get him out of harms way.
  • RayWohlfarth
    @retiredguy He was really lucky Thats scary
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons