Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Questions about installing a Modine unit heater

Rickoo
Rickoo Member Posts: 54
I'm installing a forced water Modine unit heater and am wondering which fan control would be best.

Considering this:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Ranco-ETC-111000-000-Single-Stage-ETC-Temperature-Control-w-8-Sensor-120-240V-Input

Any suggestions on this or another control?

Also wondering if I should install a Hy-vent. The unit heater will be on its own circulator and be mounted very close to the boiler. Purging the zone should be fairly simple. Should I bother with a vent?

Thank you!

Comments

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354
    Yes, A Vent don't Hurt. Spirovent makes a VG one for that.  We usually just use a Line Voltage simple T Stat..but your not locked in to that.. If yiu didn't buy it yet look at a vertical  Down shot Modine too.. Find it puts the air down when u want it not 15 feet or what gave u off the floor.  Mad Dog.
    ScottSecor
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,891
    Normally I would instal a low temperature setting thermostat to control the circulator and instal a B aquastat on the heater return to turn on the fan . I like to see an air vent on the high point .

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Rickoo
    Already have the unit heater.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Modine-HSB47SB01SA-HSB-47-Horizontal-Steam-Hot-Water-Unit-Heater-47000-BTU?utm_source=google_ad&utm_medium=search_dsa&utm_campaign=Dynamic_Search_Ads&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqNqkBhDlARIsAFaxvwyOvjjagVX-M5v9prrrBl51o_jUGUWTMFg9iWcnfVZgJaFwZlgVAWYaAudLEALw_wcB

Also have a honeywell wifi thermostat I removed from another zone a year or two ago and plan on using that to control the circulator. Just need an aquastat or temperature control of some sort to turn the fan on/off.

What's a B aquastat?
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354
    Honeywell 4006 B..."Makes on rise" so you don't blow cold air....Mad Dog 🐕 
    Rickoo
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,891
    On the return...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Rickoo
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,127
    Usually I use a ranco to make the fan cycle and of course a thermostat tied into the circulator relay and the rest is just standard stuff . Ranco work great I would never use a Honeywell mech aqua stat there garbage compared to a ranco etc always dead on never had one fail yet excellent product full of application for it use .
    Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
    Mad Dog_2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    If you're controlling the hot water zone with a thermostat just put a 120 v aquastat on the piping to control the blower motor. Also could control the motor with a relay off the 24 v circulator control from the t-stat and put a delay on/delay off to let it warm up before the blower starts and let it run a bit after the call ends.
    reggi
  • clammy
    I find it crazy that one would pay more for a Honeywell L4006 aqua stat ( pos) while a ranco is highly accurate and half the price and as I see it are always spot on never hang up and I be seen them in action on walk ins box last decades I can’t say the same for any mech cap tube sensor probe and dial temp setting being close to accurate in comparison . It ,s awfully hard to run a piece of wire to feed it w line voltage ,I for the life of me cannot see why anyone would use anything else .it s like traveling on a square in comparison to a wheel but to each there own agony .
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
  • Rickoo
    Thanks. Think I'll stay with my original plan and stick the Ranco.
  • clammy
    Wise decision Honeywell made in China just does not cut it any more just look at most new boiler there coming w hydrolevel digital aquastats not cap tube aquastat circ relays it 2023 for the love of god .stick to your plan even though most plumbers and some Hvac will be confused being they don’t have the exposure to a larger view of the industry and usually stick to time honored mantra of doing things. After a few aquastat and Honeywell aquastat circ relays failures and inaccuracy I jumped ship on replacements it’s hydro level and for tank temp control it’s ranco on new indirects I use a ranco unless the boilers control will tanks a sensor . Ps those little moline hot water coils are excellent have never failed to amaze at the quietness and the output . The rest of the pack are great for commercial but for residential hot water u it heaters modine is on top of the heap being there usually much quieter on the fan .
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ