Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Zone Valve Control, No Line Voltage Available

One of my customers has an old Infloor system with an Infloor zone valve control at each manifold in an access panel in the wall. One of the relays is making a racket in the controller and I don't think the relay is replaceable. The control uses 24 volts to power itself and the zone valves, provided by a transformer in the boiler room.

Does anyone know of an off-the-shelf control as a replacement?
8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    it sounds like the world's most standard us zone valve setup, am i missing something here/
  • 8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    Oh you mean because the transformer is remote? i think taco and caleffi have models of zone valve controllers that can use external 24vac. many models have the relays socketed so you might want to give the relay a tug and wiggle and see if it unplugs.
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,152
    edited June 2023

Oh you mean because the transformer is remote? i think taco and caleffi have models of zone valve controllers that can use external 24vac.
    I've never seen them.
    many models have the relays socketed so you might want to give the relay a tug and wiggle and see if it unplugs
    I tried and they did not budge.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

• 109A_5
    109A_5 Member Posts: 1,388
    edited June 2023
    Hello @Alan (California Radiant) Forbes,
    The relay is probably soldered to the circuit board. And probably not the problem anyway. Buzzing is just the symptom.

Are all the zones used ? Can you switch to an un-used zone, may buy some time.

Probably not much you can do to repair that unit unless you can change parts soldered on a circuit board. So change out the control, sell the old one 'Used, As Is' on eBay so someone else can repair it for not much $. Why send it to a landfill or other ?

Probably a DC coil relay, I can't make out the part number on the side of the relay, looks like an Omron relay. The relay is probably not bad. The Capacitor(s) are probably fading (due to age) and one has faded too much. Relays and Capacitors are very inexpensive (the shipping may cost more), and easy to change with the correct tools and skills.

BTW many 24 VAC zone controllers at https://www.supplyhouse.com
    One way, search for "zone control panel" then filter out all the rest by selecting the 24 VAC only units.

National - U.S. Gas Boiler 45+ Years Old
    Steam 300 SQ. FT. - EDR 347
    One Pipe System
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,702
    And you can recycle electronics instead of landfilling them. I suspect California makes that easy to do😏
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    hot_rod said:
    And you can recycle electronics instead of landfilling them. I suspect California makes that easy to do😏
    That was sly! Lol
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!