Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mechanics Institute is Now Accepting Applications for the Fall Semester

Options
Erin Holohan Haskell
Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,322
edited June 2023 in THE MAIN WALL

Mechanics Institute is an Educational Program of The General Society of Mechanics & Tradesmen.
Mechanics Institute offers tuition-free educational programs to individuals who are employed in the building and construction trades and provides them with the technical knowledge necessary to advance in their respective fields.

Please carefully review all eligibility requirements below.
All applications are due Friday, July 21st - no exceptions.
Click HERE to view Mechanics Institute Programs At-A-Glance.

Applications are available for the following TWO YEAR programs:
  • Construction Project Management: Classes meet Tuesday and Thursday evenings, 5:30-8:30 pm beginning Tuesday, September 19th.
  • Plumbing & Heating Systems: Classes meet Tuesday and Thursday evenings, 5:00-8:00 pm beginning Tuesday, September 19th.
  • Electrical Technology: Classes meet Monday and Wednesday evenings, 5:00-8:00 pm beginning Monday, September 18th.
  • HVACR Systems: Classes meet Monday and Wednesday evenings, 5:00-8:00 pm beginning Monday, September 18th.

Eligibility Requirements:
  • All applicants must be currently employed in the specific field to which they are applying.
  • Must have a minimum of two years experience in the specific trade.
  • Must be a High School, GED, or College graduate.
Admissions Materials:
  • Applicants must electronically submit a copy of the following items:
  • Letter from employer confirming employment in the Construction and Building Industry ( Letter must verify at least two years of experience).
  • Copy of high school diploma, GED, or college transcript.
  • Photo ID
  • A 250 word essay. Details can be found on the application.
How to Apply:
Email admissions@generalsociety.org with the program of your choice for an application.

Applicants accepted to the Mechanics Institute must pay the required fees listed below:
$100 Registration Fee due every semester
$75 Membership Fee due every year

Mechanics Institute, an Educational Program of The General Society of Mechanics and Tradesmen
20 West 44th Street
New York, NY 10036
www.generalsociety.org

President
HeatingHelp.com

GGrossMad Dog_2mattmia2

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,544
    Options
    Best deal there is. 
    Retired and loving it.
    Mad Dog_2PC7060mattmia2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,096
    Options
    What a Golden opportunity.   I went through a really thorough Plumber's Local #2 Apprenticeship program in the mid 1980s. Our Instructors always spoke very highly of "Mechanic's Institute."  It was strongly suggested if you wanted to put a fine feather in your cap, you should take advantage of this First Class Finishing School for Craftsman.  I have a very full plate these days, but its on my Hit List someday.  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    We've been providing education for the trades since 1858. There is no tuition, just some basic registration fees. The contacts you will make are priceless.
    Retired and loving it.
    Larry WeingartenMad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    NYC...The Greatest City in the World 🌎 
    "If you can make it here..You'll make it ANYWHERE...." Graduating from here will place you in the Elite of the Elite in your trade..on the level of a Graduate Degree from Yale...You will be one of the movers and shakers of the City that never sleeps coming out with this pedigree.......all this...and its FREE...No brainer....Apply...Mad Dog 🐕 
  • NYLamb
    NYLamb Member Posts: 10
    Options
    What an opportunity... Will have to converse with the wife. With a 14-month old and a second due any day, I'm sure she'll be ecstatic to know she's on her own during the witching hours twice a week  :D
    Mad Dog_2
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    The kids will benefit.  
    Retired and loving it.
    NYLamb
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Ask Dan..I've burned the Candle at Both ends forever.(like many here AND Dano)..Its all an investment for your greatest asset...Kids!!  I still get the eyes rolled at me sometimes:   "ANOTHER class??? " Me..."It will be a feather in my cape, Barb!"  Her:  "At this point you got Mother Goose sitting on your Head!! Enough already!!"  She always "lets" me go...Its only a couple of nights a week..Make it happen!!  Mad Dog 🐕 
    NYLamb
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 2,000
    Options
    Any info on how long these classes run for? Above it says the times and days of week? A precise schedule would be helpful. Also not really clear what is taught in the class. Are the classes geared towards those beginning their careers, those with decades of experience......?
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options

Any info on how long these classes run for? Above it says the times and days of week? A precise schedule would be helpful. Also not really clear what is taught in the class. Are the classes geared towards those beginning their careers, those with decades of experience......?

It's a 2-year program with classes in two 12-week semesters per year. My students attend my classes 5 PM-8 PM Tuesday nights for two semesters after completing the Plumbing Theory class for 2 semesters (1 year). A comprehensive HVAC program taught by an impressive Professional Engineer is also part of the curriculum and some of my students come from there instead of from the plumbing side.
    In my class I start from reading boiler ratings tags to EDR calculations and much more. We work with new architectural plans to size a system and outfit it with all the necessary hardware to heat a structure. Or we take a break from that and go into troubleshooting. Once we start to understand how things work, we discuss what makes them fail, why, how to interpret system behaviors, and what corrective action to take. Mind you, the students tend to be at different mechanical levels and skill sets. I always get at least one PE in my class but many are plumbing mechanics or advanced helpers and these are the ideal candidates for the course. No one in the program is not already working full time in the industry.
    Currently the school is Chaired by the president of a large NY-based HVAC firm and he has been very good at having manufacturers join our classes and present products for our students to compare. Though not a part of the curriculum, per se, my opinion is that one of the best features of the program is the dynamic that is created between the students. The discussions spontaneously generated are incredibly valuable. We discuss company policies toward how service schedules are executed, employee/employer accountability, what skills and tools are most sought after, and so much more. I'm honored to bring my 41st year of experience to these conversations and the camaraderie formed between instructors and students who complete the program with a palatable confidence is priceless. It's all very worthwhile.
    This was a recent course schedule (attached):

Let me know if I can help in any way.
    John Cataneo

Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    NYLambmattmia2PC7060
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    As I said, it's an incredible opportunity.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Options
    Thanks for posting this additional info, @JohnNY, and for your dedication to teaching.

President
    HeatingHelp.com

• mvickers
    mvickers Member Posts: 30
    Options
    NOT ON-LINE.  Practical proximity to NYC. This below should be listed under Eligibility Requirements vs buried in the text. 
    "All classes require in-person 
    attendance, two evenings per week."

• DanHolohan
    Options
    We were online during the pandemic. It works better in a classroom. 
    Retired and loving it.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Options
    Deadline approaching - All applications are due by Friday, July 21. Thanks!

President
    HeatingHelp.com