Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Found insulation stuffed inside boiler exhaust vent

Options
2468ben
2468ben Member Posts: 8
After a nice father's day present of a burst indirect WH, local company made quick work of replacing it, until they turned on the oil boiler (buderus) and noticed the airflow was low. It's direct vent, through the wall, so they took off the vent hood outside... and found a bunch of sooty fiberglass stuffed near the end.

Like more than a square foot of batt shoved in the 4" pipe. The pipe is insulated, intact and the vent hood is screened, so the batt's too big to migrate from the wall, or get snuck in by an animal.

Trying to figure out why and when. Only other recent work--
1. Boiler tune-up in April, then guy came back the next day when the burner kept turning off after half a second. Adjusted something, said direct vents are weird sometimes and left. Only guy who's been servicing it for many years, but a man of few words so I never really understood the boiler cycle/venting until the WH tech explained it.
2. MassSave blew some cellulose in the eaves, and did a before/after blower door test. My best guess is maybe they unscrewed the exhaust pipe, plugged it and forgot to take it out later?

Or is this some secret New England technique for reducing condensation and icicles in a wall vent, and I gotta stuff it back in there by December.

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,704
    Options
    Is it fiberglass with binder or the pure white stuff? Could maybe a piece that got sucked/blown from the combustion chamber somewhere.
  • 2468ben
    Options
    mattmia2 said:

Is it fiberglass with binder or the pure white stuff? Could maybe a piece that got sucked/blown from the combustion chamber somewhere.

fiberglass with binder, like it was pulled off an old batt. Not the pure white stuff.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,704
    Options
    Probably stuffed in for the blower door test.
    kcopp
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,844
    Options
    So MassSave is an oxymoron in this instance. 

Was the blower door test before or after the April tune up? 

• 2468ben
    Options
    Thought I'd give an update on the off-chance it matters -

MassSave came by for an inspection, sweared up and down they never touch the exhaust for a blower door test, and thought maybe it was malicious. If it was then they did a real crappy job, and based on our few conversations, the only person my boiler tech doesn't like is George Soros.

Only other thing I noticed is that before, in freezing temps I'd see a little steam outside from the direct vent during a run. When they took out the batt in May, they adjusted the boiler again and now no steam. I assume that's a good thing for a non-condensing boiler?
    hadeone
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,172
    Options
    mattmia2 said:
    Buderus doesn't have any refractory insulation lining the chamber.  Someone put that there on purpose. 
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,981
    Options
    This reminds me of the story about the mason who would install a pane of glass in a chimney passage. Then Brake the glass only after getting paid.
    hadeonePeteACLamb
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,573
    Options
    That is messed up.

Could have caused a C0 or soot issue.
    SuperTech