Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Con Ed Steam overcharges

Superman100
Superman100 Member Posts: 1
I took over a 52 story building in Manhattan that utilizes Con Ed Steam year round. I get a bill for my building every month, it is listed in lbs. of steam, we have logged steam usage at the Con Ed meters for years. The only thing they did right here. The problem is, Cond Ed's bill lists a lot more lbs. of steam usage each month than is actually logged by the meters. It appears we are being falsely overcharged for a lot of steam. literally in one year Con Ed has us at 28 million lbs of steam and actual meter readings indicate 19.5 million in the same timeframe. This has nothing to do with the bill or the overages, this is a bill for lbs. used.

The question is, does anyone know of an auditing company that can investigate and advise on a legal course of action if my findings are correct?

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    Does the bill show how it is calculated? Is there a multiplier because not all the steam passes through the meter or the index on the meter isn't geared to match the meter or because the steam is being measured at a different pressure than the meter is calibrated for?
    bburd
  • NYLamb
    NYLamb Member Posts: 10
    I've worked at a power plant where we were responsible for logging steam/electricity meters every midnight. An operator once logged the wrong number by a digit and the customer was overcharged by $45k. It could very well be a mistake on their end. Have you had any equipment in the course of the year fail? Actuators failing in the open position in remote areas? Do your hot water tanks utilize steam bundles?