Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Word of the day

ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,097
The word of the day is :

Stoßlüften

That is all. :)
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
kcopp

Comments

• unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Im shocked that your ventilating. 
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    edited June 2023
    @DanHolohan Have you ever written about this German behavior?

For some reason my phone autocorrected "this" to "smut" and my wife wanted to know why I was laughing.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,577
    I've never heard of that, Chris.
    Retired and loving it.
  • ChrisJ

I've never heard of that, Chris.

Apparently it is, or was common in Germany, especially public buildings to shut off radiators and open windows wide open to abruptly ventilate and get fresh air in.

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,577
    Learning every day! Thanks.
    Retired and loving it.
    ChrisJ
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 954
    edited June 2023
    When I was in Germany (35 years ago) this was described as a way to control excess humidity and resultant condensation in homes during the winter. A different term was used, I don't remember it exactly. Zwangslüftung?

Bburd
    ChrisJ
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,573
    bburd said:

When I was in Germany (35 years ago) this was described as a way to control excess humidity and resultant condensation in homes during the winter. A different term was used, I don't remember it exactly. Zwangslüftung?

Yes it used to be called " Zwangslüftung" which translates to " force ventilation."..Most New Yorkers call this a Double hung thermostat :D ...IAQ in Germany has come a long way from these window opening days..
    bburdPC7060
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,573
    Most of the german windows have a tilt function which allows the window top to be cracked open just a bit ...My Oma would sleep with the window tilted open and a very heavy down feather comforter that was about 40 CM thick(16 inch). Of course the heat was not on during this time.
    This would be "Dauerlüftung" without all the bells and whistles.
    In the morning the Comforter was aired out on the open windowsill
    Heat recovery is gaining great acceptance now and the days of leaving the window open will most likely disappear by energy saving regulations.
    On one of my last visits one of the Vrbo's near Stuttgart had a switch on the window that turned off the heat when the window was opened.
    PC7060
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,180
    While visiting base housing in Germany almost 50 years ago the airing out was a practice I was told of.

Almost everyone smoked then and that was reason enough.
    PC7060Derheatmeister