Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Toilet Help

Options
taylorgeo
taylorgeo Member Posts: 74
edited May 2023 in THE MAIN WALL

Hey all,

Kohler toilet is only 3 months old and the fill valve started refilling on its own approximately every 15 minutes. Lasts around 10 seconds. Don’t really want to call a plumber for this if I don’t have to. See attached picture. 

Thanks!

Comments

• psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 833
    Options
    Is the tank water leaking into the bowl through the 1.) flap OR through the 2.) overflow? If: 1.) make sure flap is sealing. Your chain looks kind of bound-up. 2.) lower the water fill-level in the tank using the gray stem with "cross" on top. Water level should be just below the top of the overflow.
    PC7060MikeAmann
  • MikeL_2
    MikeL_2 Member Posts: 489
    Options
      The gasket on the bottom of the flush tower may not hold up well to high concentrations of chlorine. The same is true for the flush valve gasket.
       Kohler tech support is extremely user friendly and will sometimes ship repair parts at no charge to the original owner. They'll also give repair advice based on symptoms.
  • Karl Reynolds
    Karl Reynolds Member Posts: 62
    Options
    Another possibility is the seal under the red cap on the fill valve. I have to change mine about every six months. Fluidmaster part number "PRO22". About $2. Worth a shot.
    PC7060MikeAmann
  • Robert_25
    Robert_25 Member Posts: 527
    Options
    I had a similar problem with mine and it turned out to be due to minerals on the red gasket at the bottom of the flush valve.  It is easy to remove and clean.  

https://youtu.be/jczJ2kJwOU8
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,637
    Options
    My bet would be on the twisted chain that is knotting up holding just a little bit of tension on the flush valve so it is leaking. Where is the water level marked, that looks a little high too but I don't think that is your problem.
    PC7060
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,671
    edited May 2023
    Options
    When you flush it, and it refills and shuts off, how close to the top of the "flush cylinder" is it? Does it shut off and then creep higher and higher?

If you shine a flash light down into the cylinder, can you see water dribbling down somewhere near the bottom? is it overflowing over the top of the cylinder?

Is that sand / dirt in the bottom of the tank, if so, why? Grit destroys valves over time.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    If that is dirt/sand in the bottom of the tank then it got in there thru the fill valve.

I believe you are supposed to flush the fill valve when installing.

Shut off the water, then push down on the float ( or maybe lift up, can't recall) , and untwist the top.

Small container or hand over the top and open supply to flush.

You can see the top seal in the cap. Maybe clean it.

Yes the chain should have slack in it.

The flapper and seat must be clean.

Check the adjustment of the float.

I think all the bases are covered now.
    PC7060
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,833
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Just saw this one. It reminded me of a day last week when I was stranded on the bowl with no roll.

That is when you REALLY need Toilet Help

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    PC7060
  • FStephenMasek
    FStephenMasek Member Posts: 88
    Options
  • taylorgeo
    taylorgeo Member Posts: 74
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Thanks for the help, all!

Kohler sent a free gasket, and the problem stopped without installing the new gasket.

Ghost in the tank?
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,637
    Options
    I think it was the tangled chain.
    hot_rodMikeAmannPC7060