Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Williamson vs Viessman

md2002
md2002 Member Posts: 4

Hello,
I got a quote to replace my oil boiler with a Viessmann VR1-33 and was going to move forward. I "friend" of mine said he would match the price but quoted me a Willamson OWB-3 burner. I've heard of Viessman and I believe they are considered good boilers. I've never heard of Williamson and I think he may be giving me a lesser boiler so that he could match the price. Anyone know if Williamson's are comparable to Viessman.
Mad Dog_2

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    A williamson is not equivalent to a viessmann.
    Mad Dog_2joechris9136
  • Tim_D
    Tim_D Member Posts: 128
    A Bently vs a Chevy
    mattmia2HVACNUTMad Dog_2
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    VR1-33? You need a heat loss!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    Mad Dog_2
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    There both good boilers but you're talking apples and oranges.
    Mad Dog_2
  • md2002
    Thanks all. I really appreciate it. This is a big purchase and I wanted to be sure I made the right choice. Looks like my assumption was correct, I'll go with the Viessman. 
    Mad Dog_2
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Depends what system you're installing the boiler on. You have to look at the complete system boiler and piping and type of heat emitters to make the best decision. Viessmann is top of the line but if you can't use all of or most of its features you may be wasting money.
    mattmia2Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,832
    Williamson is a Weil Mc lain packaged in Green.  Workhorse, solid. Put many in as an economical solution..Mc Donald's Quarter Pounder with Cheese 🧀 (my favorite) vis-a-vis aged Filet Mignon (Viessman) .  Nolo Contendre!
    Mad Dog 
  • md2002
    They both quoted me the same price. Boiler, with all new piping, indirect water heater with 4 circulators. One quote had a Viessman and the other had a Williamson. For the same price I wanted to be sure I was getting the better boiler.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Thats odd.  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • md2002
    Also just noticed Viessman has a riello burner the Williamson isn't specified.
  • dko
    dko Member Posts: 576
    edited May 2023
    If you don't specify a burner on a Weil Mclain/Williamson, most supply houses will default to the Beckett GO burners as that is what most of our customers are familiar with. We do have Carlin and Riello in stock as well, but is usually requested specifically. There isn't much difference in price between the three.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Good choice with the Viessmann. But as @Robert O'Brien mentioned, that model might be too large. Depending on the size of the water heater and DHW needs, the 22 might be all you need.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    @md202

The first set is an accurate heat loss of your home and a survey of the heat emitters (baseboard or whatever you have)

If a contractor tells you they don't need to do that because they have installed thousands of them, or they have been in business for 40 years or they size it based on the old boiler run the other way and find a new contractor.

Guessing not allowed
    Mad Dog_2mattmia2md2002EdTheHeaterMan
  • Mad Dog_2
    Thats odd.  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Mad Dog_2
    Either way, you're about to drop alot of $$$ here.  Vet the installers well.  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    you have to determine if either of them know how to install it properly. most don't.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Use a B20 rated burner in either and there's a $600 Federal tax credit
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    md2002Mad Dog_2