Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Electric Tankless Water heaters

Options
SweatHog
SweatHog Member Posts: 30
My plumber says electric tankless water heaters (for a kitchen faucet) are trash and that I should get a tankless gas heater. But I have solar and a gas boiler with an electric water heater during summer months. I think gas for a single kitchen faucet would be overkill and require way more disruption to install and maintain. The other optioni is to add a hot water circulation circuit. But it's a long run to the kitchen. and the pipes aren't well insulated. What's the best choice here?

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    What is the goal? Are you trying to reduce wait time for hot at the kitchen?
    Either a small electric heater under the sink, or a recirc loop of some sort.
    Any electric tank will require element replacements occasionally, depending on how hard your water is, how much passes through and temperature.

It is nice having 130- 140 at the sink and dishwasher. Soaps work better, grease gets gone easier.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Karl Reynolds
    Karl Reynolds Member Posts: 62
    Options
    What is your goal? With an under sink point of use instantaneous water heater rated at 120v, 3.5kW, with a 29A draw will net you a 12 deg F rise in temperature at 2.0 gpm. Drop that to .5 gpm and you can get a 48 degree rise. Not very impressive. A small 4-6 gallon 115v tank is a much better idea.
  • SweatHog
    edited May 2023
    Options
    @hot_rod and @Karl Reynolds. Yes, trying to reduce wait times. I already have an undersink heater but I need slightly higher GPM capacity to wash dishes, fill tea pots and cut the grease. So Karl, any 4-6 gallon 115v tanks you can recommend?
  • Karl Reynolds
    Karl Reynolds Member Posts: 62
    Options
    Eemax EMT4 or EMT6
  • hot_rod
    Options
    A 6 gallon tank type should be plenty, it's probably 1300W, got enough power? Any tankless or instant will take a lot more power.

These take off the shelf repair parts.
    It is nice to have a pan and drain under a water heater in a cabinet like that. It will leak someday.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • SweatHog
    Options
    @Karl Reynolds. Many thanks on the Eemax recommendation.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,926
    Options
    Look in to the Taco or Grundfos  undersink Tee system with a HW recirc. On the water heater.  Uses the Cold water as a HW return...works very well.  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,543
    Options
    Stieble Eltron makes nice waterheaters..
    Low Energy products in Denver can help with all your hot water needs.
    1800 873 3507
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Never hurts to check the cost of repair/ consumable parts. OEM parts tend to be more$$
    All the 6 gallon tanks use this common screw in element.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    SweatHog
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,293
    Options
    Hi, Two options/refinements. A small tank the least expensive. To size it, run water until it begins to warm. Catch and measure the cold water. Make the tank at least three times that number of gallons, so if you run out two gallons, get at least a six gallon tank. This approach limits the temperature drop that can happen... Gothotwater.com developed the demand recirculation approach. Push button, get hot water :p

Yours, Larry
    SweatHog