Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiantec Smartwall tubing

Options
Jeff Perry_3
Jeff Perry_3 Member Posts: 99
Lucky me has a job with 3 zones of 5/8 Radiantec Smartwall tubing. Their idea of a manifold is their fittings, ball valves and a copper header. No flow meters. I wanted to install a standard manifold like Rehau or something. Their tubing is odd sized and no matter what I have tried no R20 or compression fitting will allow me to transition to a standard 5/8 PEX fitting to let me use my manifold.

Anyone else ever have to deal with this?

Comments

• GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,050
    Options
    "Because of its thinner wall, this tubing may or may not be accepted by local codes." that comes straight from their website, they made cheap proprietary junk and you got stuck with it. Probably have to use their specific fittings.
    Mad Dog_2
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,166
    Options
    Isn't it best to just rip out all of the Radiant-wreck junk and install proper radiant heating components?
    Jeff Perry_3
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    Lucky me has a job with 3 zones of 5/8 Radiantec Smartwall tubing. Their idea of a manifold is their fittings, ball valves and a copper header. No flow meters. I wanted to install a standard manifold like Rehau or something. Their tubing is odd sized and no matter what I have tried no R20 or compression fitting will allow me to transition to a standard 5/8 PEX fitting to let me use my manifold. Anyone else ever have to deal with this?
    Is there any listing on the tube to give you an idea of what fitting will match?

If you know the OD, a metric R-20 may work
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,954
    Options
    That's a shame.  I never saw any reason to switch from the original, Wirsbo/Uponor...why? To save a few bucks?  Used Slant Fin a few times when that's what was spec'd for job.  No problems with the tubing, but wasn't crazy about the Manifolds and lawn sprinkler clamps. They had a class action lawsuit against them when they failed and they suddenly dropped the whole radiant line..  That was the beginning of the end of an otherwise great,, Local, Long Island Manufacturer.  Mad Dog