Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

RPZ BFP brands / models recommendation

Options
ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,734
Looking for a recommendation for an RPZ for 1" residential water service.

This will be inspected by the water company annually.

I see Watts 009 and Caleffi 574..... No idea if either is decent or if they are which is preferred.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,060
    Options
    We are switching our stock from the conbraco models to the caleffi. Seems that in other markets people get particular about which brand RPZ they install. Caleffi, Watts, Conbraco, seem to be the good brands. I am switching to Caleffi personally because they make parts ordering super simple, and Caleffi delivers product on time! They also are one of the few companies that makes an effort to educate their customers. I vote caleffi all the way
    ChrisJSuperTech
  • dko
    dko Member Posts: 607
    edited May 2023
    Options
    NYC market is specified ~70% Watts, 30% Wilkins
    With Watts going nuts with increases, a lot of Wilkins crossovers.

No experience with any other RPZ. We would only recommend one of the above here as you can always find repair kits for them here, any other brand would be special order.

Watts LF009 is the bread and butter RPZ of choice. I don't sell too many repair kits, so that's a good sign?
    ChrisJ
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,201
    Options
    The Caleffi comes with the "tundish," aka air gap.

I believe it is an add on $$ for the Watts.

This is required if you install a discharge tube, as you should. And have it inspected.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    ChrisJGGross
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,069
    Options
    Is this for your new water service line?

A new requirement of they just caught up with you?

An expansion tank is in order?
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    JUGHNE said:
    Is this for your new water service line? A new requirement of they just caught up with you? An expansion tank is in order?
    No this is for my boss who doesn't want to decommission his well at this time but wants city water.

They said if he wants both he needs the bfp.

My install was inspected and passed.   Caught up with me.....jeez.   is that what you think of me?   ;)

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    GGross
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,435
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

JUGHNE said:

Is this for your new water service line?

A new requirement of they just caught up with you?

An expansion tank is in order?

No this is for my boss who doesn't want to decommission his well at this time but wants city water.

They said if he wants both he needs the bfp.

My install was inspected and passed.   Caught up with me.....jeez.   is that what you think of me?   ;)

</blockquo

I am 9.9999% sure you cannot under ANY circumstances connect a not potable water supply to a potable water supply. If you have a Municipal supply (city) any other supply is a NON potable water supply.
    This applies even if you connect w/ an RPZ.
    If he wants to water his lawn then all piping has to be pulled out of the Potable supply.
    hot_rodChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    @kcopp

His well will be disconnected from the system but the water company insisted on the rpz unless the well was totally decommissioned and filled.

There's a few reasons he doesn't want to go that route right now so the rpz will be installed as per their directions.

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,050
    Options
    Febco or Zurn Wilkins are the most common in NYC & Long Island 🏝.   Both are very good.  Wouldn't hurt to check with the particular water district specs as to which brands are on their OK list and acceptable locations.  With Dozens of water districts in Nassau County, they are all slightly different on what the want.  Mad Dog
    ChrisJ