Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Apartment furnace question

treated
treated Member Posts: 2
edited April 2023 in THE MAIN WALL
I currently just moved into an apartment and have a in-unit Rheem natural gas furnace. 

model: R95T

i see that the furnace is set to: “ON”

Does this furnace assist with both Heat and A/C?

What happens if I turn it off? Is there any scenario where I do turn it off (aside from repairs)?

Any thoughts appreciated. If you need more info let me know ☺️

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    The thermostat is set to on? It's usually heat, off, cool. The fan controls gives you the choice of auto or on. It's typically set to auto. When set to on, the fan will run 24/7 regardless of whether or not the heat or A/C is on.

The furnace itself doesn't provide air conditioning, but it might have been added. Is there a box with pipes and a drain going to it on top of the furnace? Is there a unit outside with a fan? That would be a condensing unit for air conditioning. 

You would turn if off any time you've got the windows open because it's such a beautiful day. 
    treated
  • treated
    treated Member Posts: 2
    HVACNUT said:
    The thermostat is set to on? It's usually heat, off, cool. The fan controls gives you the choice of auto or on. It's typically set to auto. When set to on, the fan will run 24/7 regardless of whether or not the heat or A/C is on.

The furnace itself doesn't provide air conditioning, but it might have been added. Is there a box with pipes and a drain going to it on top of the furnace? Is there a unit outside with a fan? That would be a condensing unit for air conditioning. 

You would turn if off any time you've got the windows open because it's such a beautiful day. 

I understand your thoughts. This makes sense now. 

That is all controlled by the Thermostat. So no need to actually “Turn Off” the physical furnace.

The A/C unit looks to be on top of the furnace in the apartment.