Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mixture of oils

Options
Friends, I have a monitor 41 heater; recently a dealer close to me had a deal in "fuel oils". In my haste to save a buck I ordered a fill up. Unfortunately I didn't question the type of fuel. I had about 150 gals of kerosene and the delivery guy put in 125 gals of regular heating fuel oil ! Please help ; can I use this in my monitor or will it destroy my heater ? Thanks for any and all help. 

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    Well if you got what I call 'refinery fresh' heating oil, you're fine. If you got a 'deal' because your dealer pumped out someone else's oil tank, not so good.
    steve
    MaxMercy
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,835
    Options
    Monitor is a pot type burner. the #2 will burn in a pot burner however there may be some sooting. You will want to add some #1 fuel as sook as you can fit 100 gallons. after all the mistake fuel is gone you will want to take it apart and clean all the carbon from the combustion chamber and the pot burner. You may need to clean it more than once while the #2 fuel is available for burning. (Don't clean it while it IS actually burning). It all depends on how much excess air you can add to the flame. I don't remember if there were adjustments on those monitor burners. I do remember that I was impressed on the kerosene burning with a blue flame.

Mr. Ed
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,926
    Options
    I think as long as you have a new, Tight micron filter like a Garber, and you can burn 🔥 it out,  you'll just  have some cleaning to do after.  Mad 🐕 Dog
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    I have had some folks have this happen and the results were not great... had to have the tank pumped out and the whole unit cleaned.