Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What is this brass cap called?

Hi, this cap (which is leaking) is on the end of a radiant heat tee. I am trying to find a replacement, but I don't know what it is called. I *think* it says Simplex on the side, but not positive. Can anyone point me in the right direction? thank you in advance.

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,717
    edited April 2023
    Garden hose cap, available at any garden supply department of any big box store. The technical description is 3/4" FHT Cap

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-4-in-FHT-Brass-Cap-Fitting-801719/300096769

If you are looking for the larger cap/purge valve assembly then you will need to know the brand name of the manifold. watch this video for more information about the parts in your photograph.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xrl_1k5YvY

Hope this helps
    Mr. Ed
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    bozemanDude
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    That is a Euro hose fitting and cap.

A standard US hose cap will fit, but you need to use two hose washers because it is too deep to tighten down.

Or remove that one add some pipe dope and re tighten, maybe.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    EdTheHeaterManDerheatmeisterbozemanDude
  • bozemanDude
    bozemanDude Member Posts: 2
    OH, this is very helpful. thank you. It has that weird clip thing on it so I thought it might be something 'special'. - maybe i will just start with trying to tighten the existing cap.

Clearly, I am not a pro here and I appreciate the knowledge.

David
    Homeowner :)
  • hot_rod
    The little protrusion on the top of the cap may have a square hole. The cap becomes the handle for the valve. Should be a square pin on the valve that the cap fits onto, to open and close

A tamper proof valve of sorts🤓. Those caps have a thin rubber flat washer, unlike a regular garden hose washer. If it is hard and brittle you can make a new washer from a piece of rubber gasket material from an auto parts store
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    bozemanDude
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
    We call it a "Hose Thread Cap."  The good brass ones don't go bad, its the hose washer inside.  Easy to get. I like faucet stem grease on the threads so they come on and off easily.  Mad Dog
    bozemanDude
  • hot_rod
    Side by side. The shallow Euro caps only catch a few threads. The US caps are deeper and may hit the valve body before they compress the hose washer. So two washers usually take up the space difference.

The thread pitch is a bit different also, which prevents the US cap from tightening adequately. But close enough for us chickens.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    DerheatmeisterbozemanDude