Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Twin tanks

Options
BonnieSue
BonnieSue Member Posts: 4
I have 2 275 gallon tanks twinned together with only one gauge. If the gauge reads 1/2 full, does that mean each tank is 1/2 full or does it mean I have 1/2 left total in one tank?

Comments

• Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 655
    Options
    Depends on size and height of tanks and how they are piped.

If both tanks are same size and height, and both are vented to atmosphere, level will be same for both tanks.

If one tank is taller than the other, and both are vented to atmosphere, or connected at their tops too, the shorter tank could be completely filled while the taller tank would have room for more liquid.
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    Yes, pictures please.
    steve
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,924
    Options
    Hey Dennis..are u related to former NY governor George Pataki? That's not a common name? Mad Dog
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options
    The tanks should have the same level. It is possible to have a blockage in the lower connecting pipe that connects both tanks which could make the level unequal.

You could have a second gauge installed on the tank that doesn't have one, but it is probably unnecessary.
  • BonnieSue
    edited April 2023
    Options
    tanks are the same height

• Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Please take pics of piping under the tanks  mad Dog
  • Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 655
    edited April 2023
    Options
    @Mad Dog_2, No relation that I know of, although I do have a 2nd cousin whose first name is George.

DNA check would probably show something, I would expect.

Ethnic background is Hungarian. Name's much more common over there.

Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.
    Mad Dog_2
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,834
    Options
    Since both tanks are installed at the same level and piped with one fill pipe in tank #1 and one vent pipe in tank #2, and a cross over at the top to facilitate oil flow from the full first tank to the second tank then at first glance the tanks should eventually even out over a day or so. This is based on the fact that the bottom tank valves are open for both tanks, and will be connected together with a Tee fitting to the oil burner. Since the bottom tank piping is most likely 3/8" copper tubing (or 1/2" iron pipe at the most) there will be some delay in the leveling of the two tanks following a fuel delivery. But eventually (a day or so) the level will be equal.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • BonnieSue
    Options
    Here is how they are hooked up at bottom of tanks. The one pic shows piping that goes to the furnace
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    In theory they should level out, but I wouldn't count on it with that set up. Fuel would have to go backwards through the filter, through the thermal fused valve to level out. And if one filter/line clogged, you would never know it
    Also, those tanks are over 40 years old, the steel piping on the bottom of the tanks is questionable.
    Although not against code, I don't like the crossover fill piping where the first tank has to get completely full to fill the second one.
    Separate fills and connected vents are better. Then each tank can have it's own gauge.
    steve
    BonnieSueMad Dog_2kcopp
  • BonnieSue
    Options
    Thanks all for your help. I think I will see about having it changed so I can get separate fills and two gauges.
    Mad Dog_2
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options
    @STEVEusaPA Never liked 1 fill 1 vent and the crossover. Puts too much pressure on the first tank when filling IMHO
    Mad Dog_2kcopp
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    I don't like the look of those bottom tank connections and piping either .  I'd consider brand new tanks and piping.  Mad Dog
    SuperTech
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Ahhhh The Magyars... a Great people.  Mad Dog