Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The original combi boiler

Options
hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
edited April 2023 in THE MAIN WALL
possibly still available?
So if you have a 1200 sq ft home, 3 zones, 24,000 design day heat load for example and you want 4 gpm DHW, a boiler around 168,000 input is the correct choice.

Turn down to handle a single 8,000 btu/ hr load?

Cycle efficiency at that condition?

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream
Derheatmeister

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,667
    Options
    You certainly wouldn't get 4gpm of dhw out of that with a tankless in michigan...
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    that assumes a 77 degree rise, 43- 120 for example
    33 degree incoming would be 110 supply, I suppose
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 856
    Options
    @hot_rod your example (Weil McLain WTGO) was the standard boiler here in my area of NJ for hot water systems that were installed in the 1960's and 1970's. Almost every home built before 1970 was heated with oil, and there was no gas run into the house. Electric rates were likely very high so almost no one used electric water heaters (or the grid was inadequate). I can remember questioning these boilers overall efficiency when I witnessed the short cycling with one small zone calling or someone washing a few dishes in the sink. Talk about short cycling.

Even more popular around here were oil fired steam boilers (cast iron) with tankless coils and no mixing valves. These were the homes built before WWII. Imagine washing your hands when the boiler had a full head of steam? Many of these boilers were fitted with a 1.25gph nozzle (roughly 175,000 input), they also short cycled quite a bit in the 'off' season.
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    hot_rod said:

possibly still available?
    So if you have a 1200 sq ft home, 3 zones, 24,000 design day heat load for example and you want 4 gpm DHW, a boiler around 168,000 input is the correct choice.

Turn down to handle a single 8,000 btu/ hr load?

Cycle efficiency at that condition?

I remember seeing the"Gold" series at one of the AHR events becoming even more efficient.
    All that was done is to install a exhaust economiser..Yeah baby.
    Forget about OutDoorReset and Modulation.Just condense the exhaust gases.