Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Any Nat Grid contacts in Brooklyn NY? Need info on getting service restored

Options
PeteA
PeteA Member Posts: 175
edited April 2023 in THE MAIN WALL
My boss lives in a relatively new building in Brooklyn. He was having a new kitchen installed and the contractor drilled into gas line in the wall. Gas service was shut down on that particular riser, repairs have been made over a week ago but still no clear idea when the gas will be restored. Plumber is blaming nat grid for not coming to witness pressure test. I work for a major utility right across the river from the Nat Grid service area and our 2hr emergency board is hugely more responsive and this would not be accepted. I find it hard to belive that Nat Grid is the hold up since they only make money when the meters are spinning. Can anyone provide an email or other contact for someone in Nat Grid or can someone confirm if this is typical of nat grid and advise how to escalate this, Easter weekend is coming and everyone on this riser still has no cooking gas for Easter dinner.

Thanks in advance
Pete

Comments

• PeteA
    edited April 2023
    Options
    sorry I just realized I dropped this on the strictly steam part of the board. Can I move it to general or does an admin have to help me out?
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,915
    Options

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,315
    Options
    Moved it!

President
    HeatingHelp.com

• PeteA
    Options
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options
    You’re not going to reach out to one person and get any additional attention on this. Restoring service has to go through all the usual, documentable channels. Have your friend call the main number and explain the situation if he doesn’t want to take the plumber’s word for it. You’re right that NG wants to activate the meter/riser but it’s a nightmare right now across the 5 boroughs and shortcuts to getting gas are a thing of the past.  
    I feel your pain. Believe me.  
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • PeteA
    Options
    Thanks @JohnNY I'm just surprised that it's so easy to leave folks out of gas for sooo long. I'll have him call the main number and at least see if it's on their radar for a turn on or if they are still pending anything from plumber. In our service territory in Manhattan customers have way more ways to get in touch with us for issues/concerns and updates hard to believe Nat Grid is under the same PSC rules as us since customer support seems more limited.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options
    It sounds like you’re with Con Ed. It’s generally accepted that Nat Grid is easier to deal with for things like this than the Manhattan/Queens utility. We had a building go without gas for 14 months. Everyone got hot plates for cooking and electric space heaters. All in the name of safety. Go figure. 
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    PeteA
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,049
    Options
    The good old days are gone when you had the cell of the foreman and a few important guys.  The recent gas explosions in NYC with LMPs signing off and covering for hacks was the nail in the coffin.  With the new Federal Guidelines there will be folks w no heat or hot water for weeks.  We had a  gas Utility rep at a recent Contractors meeting whose answer to how long would it take them to come out when meter is locked put?"  We will come out AS SOON AS WE ARE ABLE!'  He was asked several times by different Master Plumbers and his reply was the same...  not comforting   Mad Dog 
    PeteA
  • PeteA
    Options
    Thanks again @JohnNY always safety first 👍👍 hot plates for Easter dinner I guess 😁

@Mad Dog_2 that’s a looong time I guess they will have to settle in for the long haul.
    Mad Dog_2