Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sensors, Thermostat and wiring

Options
lavi77
lavi77 Member Posts: 7
I am trying to understand how the Slab sensors/Floor sensors are wired to a thermostat and to the control box. Does the wire from sensor go to thermostat in the room which is then wired to to control box in the utility room. How does the air temp sensor come into picture. I understand I can use remote sensors for both or the use thermostat for air temp and controlling temp.
I am visual person and have lived in houses with forced air so have seen the wiring and controls ad understand some of it but radiant is totally new to me. Besides that I am trign to understand following:

1) I would like to put floor sensor in each loop to get reading on floor temp , is it overkill ? should one sensor per manifold is good enough. I am trying to keep the loops similar length but that may not happen as I want dedicated loop for bathrooms.

2) I read that the floor sensors should be installed in a way that they are serviceable. For my first floor sensors I can manage that but for second floor sensors I don't have the option to run wires from each sensor. I was thinking of running pex from floor to closest wall in the room (preferably in closet ) where it will connect it to another wire which runs to a central location on 2nd floor and goes down to the basement. Since I have access to floor I can run this wire under floor easily and I have to run one wire from 2nd floor to basement which is much more manageable. with this et i can change the sensor easily as that is the part which goes bad the wires should be fine once i put them under floor. do you guys foresee any issues with this apporach.

3) Are there any wireless options. Means I can connect the floor senor to a zigbee/zwave device which communicates with the control box in the utility room.

4) Finally if I add an actuator for a loop how does that work in relation to the zone control valve which feeds manifold where that loop is.

I have been reading but too much information is making me confused so I decided to ask my questions here and get advice.

thanks

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Floor sensors are wired to a thermostat specified for radiant flooring that have a place for their attachment.
    Depends on the application. Sometimes floor sensors aren't the best approach due to over and undershooting.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    What is the goal for the floor sensor? In a residential application they can be helpful for preventing over shoot, maybe in a room with solar gain. Or to prevent the floor temperature from dropping too low, a bathroom for example 
    In a home, you still want the air sensing involved to prevent the space from overheating 

Each loop, or each room may be overkill.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • lavi77
    lavi77 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    I was planning to use the floor sensors primarily to make sure that my floor don't exceed certain temperature and preventing overshoot as you said. I have couple of rooms which are south facing.

I was planning to use both floor and air temp sensor to prevent over/undershooting. As far I understand those specific thermostat can work off of both sensors. not sure how a scenario where one of the sensors is asking for heat but other is over high limit set what will happen.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    as as I recall the Uponor ones, which were tekmar looking🤓 You could chose either a not to exceed or not to drop below  temperature for the slab, but the air temperature would override the slab sensor

So in a bathroom, if you set the slab for 78 and air temperature got to 80 it would shut down

Perhaps newer versions gave different logic, this was 15 years ago when they were tekmar versions.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    lavi77