Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Laosh

Options
Steve_210
Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
I remember reading about a hot water coil on a steam boiler does anybody know what section of the book?
Just trying to remember the summer and winter effects.
Obviously, you can keep the coil covered with water in the summer, but not the winter.

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,637
    Options
    They are mounted low enough that they are below the low water line so they are always in the water in the boiler.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,672
    Options
    mattmia2 said:

They are mounted low enough that they are below the low water line so they are always in the water in the boiler.

Mostly.
    The Burnham V8 I had said to raise the water line in the summer for better hot water.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    mattmia2
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 1,005
    Options
    Hopefully your system has a mixing valve to reduce the hot water from the boiler. I had a baseboard hot water system in the late 70s with the "domestic coil" running at 180F for heat, no mixing valve and the water at the faucets was dangerously hot. Dishwasher cleaned items were clean!!!
  • Steve_210
    Options
    Yes, the holby mixing valve was an issue thermostat has been replaced.
    but I could not raise the water level above the coil or I would not have enough steam chest obviously in the summer it’s not a problem.
  • panick007
    panick007 Member Posts: 24
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Are you referring to "How to run a hot-water zone off a steam boiler"? That is page 484 in LAoSH
    Paul
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,637
    Options
    maybe there are different tankless coils for steam and hot water applications and you have the hot water one.
  • Steve_210
    Options
    No, it’s for a steam system. It’s a common problem. The hot water coil would not make a difference. It’s the level of the water in the steam boiler.