Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Small Water Leak from my Burnham Oil Furnace

Options
MonkeyBoy_1966
MonkeyBoy_1966 Member Posts: 1
edited April 2023 in THE MAIN WALL
my 20-year-old Burnham Oil Furnance has sprung a small water leak. Where the water circulates around the Blast Chamber, on the return side, a small leak popped up in January. My HVAC guys have seen this before in the same era Oil Furnaces. I can see where the leak is easy. So, now my F'ed up Harry Homeowner question.

Would heat-tolerant two-part epoxy work? It's a dribble at best and that is only when the furnace is running hard during the last couple of cold spells. It also supplies my domestic hot water. I was looking at JB Weld's "WaterWeld" epoxy, it is rated for 250° and J-B Weld 8297 HighHeat 500 Degree Epoxy is rated to 400°.

I have a really old house, 1770 and 1838, and the cellar was dirt when I bought the house. We poured concrete and install the system in an area that works well. I have a puddle about 2' or so around the leak and the water itself isn't a problem. My cellar is far from being air or watertight so I'm not overly concerned about that. We don't have mold and the water evaporates on days when the furnace isn't running a lot.

So, stupid idea?

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Is it a V7 or V8 model? 

Not sure if any of those methods would work. It's leaking into the combustion chamber? Either way you're just prolonging the inevitable. 

A 3 pass with an indirect or a System 2000 with their water heater would be a good investment upgrade.
    MaxMercySuperTech
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    If you have a hole there, there are probably a dozen places ready cut loose.
    You could give it a shot, but are you prepared for it cutting loose and draining the entire system into the basement.
    I'd start on a replacement. Get a heat loss done, start pricing it up, before AC season is into full gear.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

MaxMercySuperTech
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,804
    Options
    Add a boiler dope to the boiler to seal it to get you though....

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,088
    Options
    As the Boys said, give it a shot but start putting away 💸  for replacement.   Mad Dog