Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Main venting deficiency (steam boiler). Thoughts?

Tuggy
Tuggy Member Posts: 46
edited March 2023 in Radiant Heating

*this is an offshoot of a separate topic I started here:

I believe there is a lack of main venting in my 3 fl house. The Living Room(s) of all three floors are the farthest from the boiler and are noticibably colder than the other parts of the house.

The house thermostat is on the 2nd fl, in the adjacent dining room before the living room (end of the run. Layout of each fl is the same.) The two rooms are connected by a large open arch, not a simple tiny doorway. The vertical riser that serves the 3rd fl Living Room has been tapped (not at the top, but just below sub-floor level) with a MoM D capped angle vent as well to "bolster" the supply there. (The top of the riser was inaccessible and getting it up any higher was impractical.)

Despite that, with the thermostat set at 75° during the day time, the Living Room(s) generally reach 72° while the Dining Room(s) do get to 75°. As you traverse toward the rooms at the oppostie end of the house, the disparity climbs to be as much as 4° higher than the thermostat setting, up to 79° at times.

A 45 ft run serves the front end of the house we're discussing here, with a Gorton No. 1 on there.

This is nearly up against the wall at the end of the run, so I used a mirror to get the shot, and processed it using a mirror or "flip image" tool.

There's not much more room above, so a Gorton No 2 would require breaking of the ceiling a bit to allow space.

A big mouth I suppose would require the same plus a several inch elbow and "shunt" pipe be connected first, if I am correct.

1. This is a family house and I am not the final arbiter of what (larger) changes can be made
  2. I'm not sure how long this Gorton 1 has been up there. I am somewhat concerned attempting to remove it could possibly break it, requiring skills beyond my ability to reapair. I don't know how likely that scenario typically is. It does look to be in good condition and not too old from the condition of the tape around the threads.. Opinions?
  3. As far as putting something like a Big Mouth on there, I've not done this type of piping work before. Idk if teflon tape is enough on the "extension" pipe joins, or if pipe dope would be required, or some other technique. Maybe someone can enlighten me. It don't think it's that complicated a job though.

If the heat could be more well balanced, we could lower the thermostat a couple degrees and save some money it seems to me.

Opinions welcome

Comments

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,406

BLUE monster (or good quality) Teflon tape & Pipe dop on top.of the tape. Screw in tight but don't over do it. U can always make tighter with a screw joint. It looks like a Gorton #1 that u have there? Start with a Gorton #2 on each main, on a plugged tee. You can always add more easily, if needed, but that will do the trick in most homes. Height...if you have to open a neat sqaure above it or pipe it over to a higher area with nipples..always pitch a bit so condensate doesn't lay in there. If u can't get height, look for nearest closet or wall u can pipe up in to. But now you're in to a little carpentry. If You're paying the fuel bill, YOU have a say in this. This is a larger building with 4" Steam Mains, but you get the idea 💡. We had ZERO height to work with so we core drilled a hole in to a corner and piped over and up...voila! Mad 🐕

• Tuggy
    Tuggy Member Posts: 46

Very clever!