Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Snowmelt pex through wall

Options
Burnett03
Burnett03 Member Posts: 26

Looking for some advice. I've got all my stuff in the basement done for my snowmelt system. Now i need to figure out the best way to get 14 5/8 pex lines into the basement where my boiler is. My thought is to core drill the basement walls and put a few 4" PVC tubes and run the pex through there. Or would it be better to drill 14 1" holes and install 1" pvc and run each line individual through those?

Comments

• yellowdog
    yellowdog Member Posts: 157
    Options

i would put the manifold outside and lessen the amount of holes thru the wall.

GGrossHomerJSmithAllislandradiant
  • Burnett03
    Options

I also thought of that option, but i just don't have a great place to put the manifold outside anywhere.

• GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,050
    Options

remote manifold will also keep the loop length down.

• Burnett03
    Options

The system is heating a sidewalk that runs to the back yard so running into the basement will only add maybe 5 feet per loop. I need to look harder and see if i have any space to keep the manifold outside.

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options

If you do go thru the wall, these are the best option. The seal and allow some expansion/ contraction of the tube. Commonly used on GEO pipe wall penetrations.

Large plastic sprinkler boxes make good in ground manifold enclosures.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    mattmia2
  • Burnett03
    Options

Thank you hot rod. It's hard to picture my house/setup without seeing it but going through the wall will yield the easiest and cleanest install

• hot_rod
    Options

I used these on my own place around a 3" pvc and 3/4" water line into my basement. You just add or remove links to adjust size.

With pvc sleeves in concrete you need to seal the PVC to the wall and the tube inside the pvc.

These use 1 core or sleeved hole. Use sonatube to form the holes, or aluminum vent pipe that you can remove easily to use these seals.

Ideally you will not have standing water against the wall, but these would seal it out.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Burnett03
    Options

Hot rod, the concrete company will be ripping out the driveway on a Friday and returning next friday to pour so i have plenty of time to lay the PEX B. Will leaving the pex outside in sunlight for a few days cause any issues?

• hot_rod
    Options

Probably different exposures based on manufacturers. A few days should be fine on any pex.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA